PLANT ????

snakeblitz33

The pinecone plant looks a little more leafy than the shaving brush plant. The shaving brush looks quite a bit more prickly. The shaving brush leaves also extend from the central stock, and the pinecone plant seems to have many stems off the main stock that form leaves. That's just from observation... I'm wondering if the pinecone plant is calcerous/hard to the touch. I know the shaving brush is very calcerous/prickly.

meowzer

NO SNAKE>......There is no description on the pine cone plant....SOOOOO I wnated to knwo if the onoly difference was the LOOK....or was there something else
LOL....NO TEST....
I have had NO luck with the shaving brush, and was thinking of trying the pine cone if there was a difference

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/388767/plant#post_3430692
What is the difference between a Pinecone Plant

AND A shaving Brush Plant

To me, the pinecone plant looks like... well.. a pine cone. Several "half disks"... if you will... coming out in "layers".
The shaving brush plant looks like a bunch of needles just coming "up" from a central stalk.

snakeblitz33

Meowzer, I've NEVER had any success with shaving brush plants. I doubt I would ever have success with pinecones. I realized calcerous algaes are not for me. :(

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388767/plant#post_3430713
Meowzer, I've NEVER had any success with shaving brush plants. I doubt I would ever have success with pinecones. I realized calcerous algaes are not for me. :(
Darn it... I was about to get some for my tank... I guess not..

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388767/plant#post_3430713
YEAH...me neither :( I have tried shaving brush, halimeda, the blade plants.....all died on me

btldreef

LOL... is it just me or am I being ignored tonight???

What you shared had already been addressed, I don't see how that's being ignored..

aquaknight

The issue with these calcerous algae is collection/harvesting. Shaving brush/pinecone/halimeda all have root systems. And when carelessly ripped off rock or from the sand, the root system is damaged and the algae slowly dies. The death is typically slow enough, that the algae can pass through the standard collector/distributor/wholesaler/retailer chain and still maintain their health/coloration before entering the unsuspecting customers' tanks.
Halimeda isn't really that hard to keep, it's just finding the right ones. Halimeda sold as loose links/branches or just a 'clump' will likely die. You'll need to look for halimeda already attached to live rock. The problem is that live rock is often treated soo poorly, just wrapped in wet newspaper, any cool hitchhikers die, but most pests, aptasias, etc, still live...

spanko

Pin cone algae = Rhipocephalus sp
Shaving brush algae = Penicillus sp.

Both = algae not plants.

rainbow grouper

Our Halimeda is attached to a carpet of GPS. And the chocolate tang even EATS the plant! I suppose you always get the an odd fish out. (I swear that tang 'll eat anything

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I think AK hit the nail on the head with this one. Lately, all the live rock that I have ordered has had halimeda jut spring up from no where and start growing! It's kinda neat, to be honest. I'm hoping that some of it grows. I like it's decorative look. I noticed when I got shaving brush that time that it had no root system. I was hoping that by dipping it in some root grow and putting it in some semi-course sand that it would grow a new root system, but they never do, so I gave up.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///t/388767/plant#post_3430799
The issue with these calcerous algae is collection/harvesting. Shaving brush/pinecone/halimeda all have root systems. And when carelessly ripped off rock or from the sand, the root system is damaged and the algae slowly dies. The death is typically slow enough, that the algae can pass through the standard collector/distributor/wholesaler/retailer chain and still maintain their health/coloration before entering the unsuspecting customers' tanks.
Halimeda isn't really that hard to keep, it's just finding the right ones. Halimeda sold as loose links/branches or just a 'clump' will likely die. You'll need to look for halimeda already attached to live rock. The problem is that live rock is often treated soo poorly, just wrapped in wet newspaper, any cool hitchhikers die, but most pests, aptasias, etc, still live...
Those are really good tips. Thanks AK!