plasma tv

larrynews

even though i worked at a tv station for 20 years, when it comes to tech stuff i have no idea...what is the most important thing to look for in a plasma tv....i know there is something because the same size tv can cost anywhere from 10,000 to 1,500 not sure though what to look for any help would be great thanks

wwfstyle

My parents had one and they said that they will NEVER get another one. They got a small scratch on (the screen) theres after having it for 6 months and the picture was pretty crappy. They tried turning it in for warenty and they wont replace it because of a scratch. I'm not 100% sure why but it was enough to make my parents mad and go back to the boxy looking ones.
So if you decide to get one double check the warrenty and see what is coverd and whats not.

bergamer

don't buy a plasma TV unless the pixels are atleast
1024 x 1024!!!
This amount of pixels is the min for true HDTV. If your plasma has less pixels you are not watching full HDTV and you just wasted your money for the TV.
And since all the cheap plasma's are not even close the the min amount of pixels, it is better to wait as prices are dropping.

badasstang

Don't buy a plasma, they only last 4-5 years. Buy and LCD, they have a better picture than plasma, and don't have a short life. There is one other kind that is even better than LCD, but can't think of the name.

tangman99

Originally posted by BadASStang
Don't buy a plasma, they only last 4-5 years. Buy and LCD, they have a better picture than plasma, and don't have a short life. There is one other kind that is even better than LCD, but can't think of the name.

Depending on how much you watch TV, but the life expectancy is now given as 7 - 10 years. Plasma definintely gives you the best picture hand down, but cost for the size I have to have is too much right now. They each have their good and bad things. If you really want to find out about them, go to avsforum and you can read until your overloaded.
Here are some + and - about each:
Plasma - Best picture, best viewing angle (not counting CRTs), thinnest. Pixels can burn out or stick. Uses fans so can be annoying.
True LCD - Mid price and nice picture. You can't get true black in the picture. The best you are going to get is dark grey. Were limited to 43" but I think they are out now up to 60" if you want to pay plasma prices.
Projection LCD - Mid price and nice picture. You can't get true black in the picture. Uses an expensive bulb that usually need to be replace every year or two and cost several hundred dollars. (around $400?)
DLP - Mid price and nice picture. Great colors but some will see rainbow effects. Mirrors can stick and look like like bright dots in the screen. Uses an expensive bulb that usually need to be replace every year or two and cost several hundred dollars.
IMHO, the best bang for the buck right now is LCD projection. You can get huge screens with a great picture for a lot less than plasma. The "no true black" thing is not that big of a deal. They are actually coming out with a new technology now that helps this problem. Check out the 70" sonys. They are a great TV but getting warranty work out of Sony can be a frustrating experience.

larrynews

thanks i have a 55 inch phillips projection now but really want something that will hang on the wall for the space factor...mine is about7 years old still ok but not great.....again thanks everyone

doxboi

Do your research and do not listen to anyone until you hav eheard it from the pro's. TV goes beyong Plasma, LCD, DLP!
Search Plasme vs. LCD
LCD vs DLP
Eventually you will learn about all the different options. DLP from Texas Instruments is moving forward greatly!! For me I would never buy plasma!! It does not have up to ten years life span, it is only 3. It then begins to fade in brightness. Just research. Here are some sites to start with.
http://www.cesweb.org/default_flash.asp
http://www.zdnet.com/
http://www.infoworld.com/
http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/ent...nt/plasma0.asp
Plus Sony might not be the greatest soon. Watchout for others on the virge to take the show. There is so much going on right now that I would wait for Blue-ray and HD-TV technology to settle down. Watch out for bias articles, and advice. Best Advice, do your research and do not waste THOUSANDS of dollars!!

tangman99

TV's are like computers. There is always something better in the future. At some point, you have to bite the bullet knowing that something better is coming out. I still think plasma is overpriced and it has came down quite a bit.
The plasma life span is a debate that has been going on for a couple of years and saying it only lasts 3 years is not accurate. The first models that came out were far inferior to the ones coming out now which I think are on the 4th or 5th generation technology. The best estimate being quoted in "recent" views is 7 to 10 years depending on the time watched per day.
It was like the original projection big screens. They began loosing brightness from day one because the guns were overpowered to get brighter pictures. My 50" Mitsubishi was built with large guns and guaranteed to have 90% of its brightness at 10 years. It cost a grand more than others but I've had it 10 years this November and the picture still looks great.
If you want to check with the experts, go to avsforum. It is the premier forum on anything AV with members who are work in the industy at all levels. Kind of like people go to saltwater boards to ask questions on saltwater fish :notsure: Keep in mind like all board there are people there that are very opinionated so you have to wave though the BS. One thing that makes that forum a little hard to get what you want is that the groups are based on Plasma, LCD, DPL ... so each group is stricly pro that groups subject. However, you can get a lot of information just by reading. Just don't go into the DLP forum and ask "which technology is the best".