Plate Coral

damselsrck

I would like to have a long tentacle Green Plate Coral (Heliofungia sp. like sold on this site) when I get a reef and I was just wondering if there were any major problems with this coral. I am most likely getting a metal halide fixture, but there is a possibilty I would go with a PC. Is this coral less demanding than, say...a bta? (I would want it instead of an anemone) Well, any information would be wonderful! Thanks! :happyfish
Oh, and I was wondering if 305 watts over a 46 gallon would be enough for all coral (and clams)? It's a metal halide fixture...

damselsrck

yes it's less demanding? And then with the mh, I'm not sure if I will ever get into sps and clams...I just thought it'd be best over all to go with mh.

wax32

Yes it is less demanding. MH aren't for everyone. I myself just use 7 VHO bulbs and I like it.

bang guy

Originally Posted by damselsrck
I would like to have a long tentacle Green Plate Coral (Heliofungia sp. like sold on this site) when I get a reef and I was just wondering if there were any major problems with this coral.
Heliofungia usually die in the first year. This is a very difficult coral to keep. I'd suggest the Fungia (Short Tentacle) if you're looking for a plate coral.

waterbourn

Everyone on this board seems to think that the long tentacle plate is going to die within a year. Has anyone had a LTP last longer than a year? I have had one for close to a month with 260 watt pc in a 55 gallon and it is beautiful and seems to do fine.
From research I have done outside of this board it seems the LTP does not necessarily have to the strongest lights out there. Also, one of the main reasons these guys will die is if sand gets kicked up or blown on them. They need any sand that falls on them to be brushed off.

mudplayerx

I've heard nothing but bad luck with LTA's. They used to be a little hardier about 5 or so years ago but the ones being collected nowadays don't survive in captivity.