Playing with camera, so frustrating

mr_bill

Here are a few shots, I'm trying to get to a more manual setting on this thing so that I can adjust the brightness more.

mr_bill

Thankyou, see how its way too bright on the rock, I'm sure there has to be a way to tone that down some so that it looks more like what you actually see when looking at the tank.

cain420

yea.. its called a photo editing program, such as photoshop elements...
LOL.. thats the easiest way there is..
looks good to me though

socal57che

Hello, neighbor
My wife was the graphic arts major, so I just pick up info on the fly. First I'd like to say that your stuff looks great. I guess these were taken on the auto or P setting, is that correct? My wife tells me the camera will meter for the brightest light in the frame and adjust accordingly. Your eyeball's pupil outperforms the camera and adjusts to what you are focused on almost instantly so the difference doesn't seem as obvious as in the photograph. If you switch to manual you can adjust f stop and shutter speed to come as close to what you see as possible. I should really let her talk to you as I may already be way out in left field. Adjust the settings and record them for each shot no matter how bad they may look. Load them on your machine and name them according to the settings they were shot at. That way you get a sort of baseline to see how the camera shoots at different settings. You might even opt for a freestanding slave flash to use as a fill light. They really aren't very expensive and you can adjust them so they don't produce much light. (a reflector will work, too. Just aim it so the light you have is redirected to a low light area. That would even out your light a little and might get rid of your burnt (overexposed) spots such as the rock you mentioned. Myself, I would be happy with the pics you took as they are pretty good.

socal57che

OH, I almost forgot, I was at Walmart today and behold...right there on the shelf was a boxed set of Mr Bill episodes from SNL!!

I almost bought them just to send to you. :hilarious

nm reef

A couple of things you can try that may help you get photos closer to what your eye sees....
I try to take the origional photos using different settings...especially white balance adjustments if you have them. The camera I use has several and especially when shooting under actinics only I try several WB settings....and adjustments to the aperture.
The...if you have photoshop try to slightly adjust the shadow/highlights to get a true representation of what your eye saw and also minor adjustments can be made by slight adjustment to the color.
I try not to alter the images I take...but there are a few adjustments that can be made that sometimes can produce images closer to what the eye sees.
I'd also agree the photos you posted are fine. It can be very difficult to produce quality photos under actinic light...I've spent many hours trying to capture actinic shots myself and fine it very frustrating. Yours are as good as any I've seen.