Playstation 3 questions.

pontius

ok. with the release of the newest Madden game, I'm nearly convinced that I need to go out and buy a PS 3.
can anybody persuade me that I do NOT need a PS 3? I'm a 32 year old father of 2 (one being a 2 week old newborn) and a fulltime job, so that would be a perfectly good argument against me needing one.
but I want to know....it says they have a built-in wi-fi. does that mean that you can surf the internet over your tv screen, or does the wi-fi just allow you to get on the playstation's network thing?
also, I know it plays blue ray dvds, but does it also play just regular non-blue ray dvds?
if the answer to both those questions is "yes", I may go out and buy one tomrrow (plus, I still got this week and all of next week for "paternity" leave, lol).

pontius

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3113700
Buy One
yeah, but whats the answer to those questions?
If I can get on the internet with it, rather than having to go upstairs in the bonus room, which would allow me to stay in the living room and babysit, then I'm sold on it.

pontius

also, 80GB and 160GB? all I'd be interested in is saving Madden seasons. I'm not interesting in downloading music, pictures, and all that crap. just saving Madden seasons and getting on the internet. so would I really need the 160GB?

aquaguy24

i've got the 160gb version. i also had the old 60gb version(broke)..but i still love it..i also have the xbox..ever since i gotten the ps3 the xobx just have been collecting dust...number 1 thing i like is that its free to play online..yes u can play regular dvds. yes u can surf the internet on ur tv..i have two kids and a full time job...i play late night when kids asleep..i play call of duty 4 just about everynight...can't stop playn..wether ur a gamer or just love watchin movies this is the system to get...

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/3113697
ok. with the release of the newest Madden game, I'm nearly convinced that I need to go out and buy a PS 3.
can anybody persuade me that I do NOT need a PS 3? I'm a 32 year old father of 2 (one being a 2 week old newborn) and a fulltime job, so that would be a perfectly good argument against me needing one.
but I want to know....it says they have a built-in wi-fi. does that mean that you can surf the internet over your tv screen, or does the wi-fi just allow you to get on the playstation's network thing?
also, I know it plays blue ray dvds, but does it also play just regular non-blue ray dvds?
if the answer to both those questions is "yes", I may go out and buy one tomrrow (plus, I still got this week and all of next week for "paternity" leave, lol).
Didnt read the other replies but..
Yes you can surf the internet on the ps3 on your TV
and it will play DVD,BluRay, etc..
Mine is wireless linked to my laptop and I watch movies from my laptop on the ps3 over Wifi

kjr_trig

Funny you ask today...My 13 month old PS3 just broke today
....$149 to repair

as a 35 year old father of 2....still love it though
yes it plays regular dvd, I don't use it for internet.

nigerbang

As far as harddrives go.. Just go with what you want.. If you need to later you can up the HDD.. Example.. My ps3 has a 500 gig harddrive in it..

tang master

i have the 80g and i play my regular dvds and my bluerays on it. and yes you can also surf the internet on it which is awesome if you have a huge tv.

pontius

ok, more questions as far as the internet browsing is concerned.....
I have my computer upstairs with a wireless router. so that is enough to surf the internet or I need something else hooked up to the PS3? also, I have a program that I regularly run called GuitarPro. can I download it onto the PS3 and use it as well? can the PS3 get computer viruses?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/3113729
ok, more questions as far as the internet browsing is concerned.....
I have my computer upstairs with a wireless router. so that is enough to surf the internet or I need something else hooked up to the PS3? also, I have a program that I regularly run called GuitarPro. can I download it onto the PS3 and use it as well? can the PS3 get computer viruses?
Never heard of a PS3 getting Viruses... What kinda router? as far as strength.. I have a N-Mimo and its more than enough.. Hell my neighbor across the street gets 30% signal from it.. lol.. The router will prolly be enough.. Doubt GP will run on basic PS firmware but you can always install Linux..

tang master

your wireless will be sufficient to support the ps3 internet without a connection. and yes the ps3 can get viruses. but im not sure about that GuitarPro program.

pontius

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/3113732
Never heard of a PS3 getting Viruses... What kinda router? as far as strength.. I have a N-Mimo and its more than enough.. Hell my neighbor across the street gets 30% signal from it.. lol.. The router will prolly be enough.. Doubt GP will run on basic PS firmware but you can always install Linux..
I don't know, but I'm on a laptop right now infront of the tv the PS3 would be hooked up to and it's working fine, so that's it?

nigerbang

I bought a 2.5"SATA notebook harddrive and popped it in there.. It tells you how to in the manual.. Took about 10 minutes or so.. The HD is a 500 gig and was about $100 after shipping from new egg... I can give you a quick run through if need be.. it will take me longer to type it than you to actually do it..
Just make sure to back up all game saves and data.. to an external or jump drive...