Pleas ID new stuff on rock

ant

You can't really see the tips but they are tube like structures with little hairs on the end. They are still very tiny so it was hard getting a good pic.
Thanks, Ant.

ophiura

From the desciption, they are probably a type of hydroid, and can cause trouble if they overpopulate (they can sting things).

mudplayerx

I have those in a few spots and my turbo snails actually eat them. They always grow back. It is kind of funny.

T

tizzo

I had iddy bitty spots of those suckers everywhere. I put the tip of a super glue gel tube in the hole they came out of and filled it with the glue. Some found a way around it, but most are still gone. I only did this 2 days ago.
Before this I tried kalk paste, Joe's juice, straight up calcium, and aquarium putty. Nothing has worked. This superglue is my only chance.:)

ant

ophiura-that's the stuff coming out. Perfect picture match. OMG-I guess I'm going to have to treat it.
Is my tank too small for a turbo snail? 20gal.
I will look for kalk paste for now but Tizzo, the super glue doesn't kill anything else?
Eel-I just went down to browse and inserted a pic from my file. Used a digital camera and got as close as I could. Took a few to get those and they're not very good.
Thanks everyone. Couldn't be something good...could it have.:nope:
Ant.

T

tizzo

Snails don't eat it, they crawl over it and they retract like feather dusters do, but they take a little longer to come back out.
Superglue will only kill what you cover with it. I have put all of my corals in place and used 2 tubes on these hydroids with superglue. It has no ill effects except that it wants to float when it comes out of the tube so make sure the tip is deep in the hole, and when you pull back kinda twirl the tip on the edge of the rock. As it stands I have these little white blobs all over the place.:D

T

tizzo

Oh of course I can't find it... I "organized" my pics today.:rolleyes:

scotts

Ant, Thanks believe it or not I think I have some small patches of that in my tank. Never even thought about it until now. :eek: It is so odd, I have not added anything to my tank for about a year, yet new things keep popping up.
Tizzo, just gotta say I think it is funny. Don't see you for a couple of months, then when you are here you post like hell all over the place. You know they will never make you a mod if you keep this up.
Scott

ant

THanks for the info and the pic Tizzo. I must say, I'm pretty bummed about that. So, super glue huh. Ant.:confused:

T

tizzo

Originally posted by Scotts
Tizzo, just gotta say I think it is funny. Don't see you for a couple of months, then when you are here you post like hell all over the place. You know they will never make you a mod if you keep this up.
Scott

I think the mods they have now are wise choices!! I think it's more intelligence than post count.
But when I'm working, I sleep more and you don't see me. When I'm home, here I am!!
Ant...Yup...superglue. I am not even 100% positive it works. after I put joes juice on them it took 2 days for them to return, but they did. So far the glue is holding. Unless you can get the rock out of the tank and put the pointy ent of one of those trapazoid shaped razors in it and twirl.

ant

Tizzo- Thanks a bunch! I will try the super glue method. Good luck to both of us...or all three of us, Scott included!
Ant.:D

mudplayerx

Originally posted by Tizzo
Snails don't eat it, they crawl over it and they retract like feather dusters do, but they take a little longer to come back out.

Maybe I don't have the same thing pictured here, but I think I do. My turbo snails do indeed eat them, and they are unable to retract into the live rock; they seem unable to move at all. The reason I say this is that the snail glides over them, and they are gone. After that they slowly grow back over a period of about a week.
Mine look like tiny little yellow polyps, but they are brown.