please answer my question about protein skimmers

giantregal

i am trying to decide between an AquaC remora pro, or the Urchin pro
i have a 125 gallon tank with 100 lbs of LR 100 lbs of live sand, a 10" regal tang, a 4 inch undulated trigger, a 2 foot black edge eel, and 2 sabae clowns
would these Protein skimmers be enough? also which one should i get the hang on tank or in sump
i have no idea, i dotn want to buy the wrong skimmer again
stephan

chandler04

If u have a sump, then in sump skimmers are definitely the best, no doubt in my mind. Even the crappy jebo skimmer that I have produces a TON of foam and waste.

jbanks

Hi GiantRegal,
I just set a Remora Pro up on my 30 gal sump in my 120 (190 pound of LIVE rock and a DSB) this past Friday. I would have gone with the Urchin Pro but I have a DSB in my sump and it would not have seated properly. The Remora Pro hangs on my sump just fine. However, because your water level in the sump is lower than the water level in the tank, you will have to compensate with a longer hose (just a couple of inches of 1/2" tubing) and a stronger pump to deal with additional head pressure. I went the mag 7 Only a few days running and I can already see a difference in the clarity of my tank and the unit is producing a lot of foam.
Good luck!