Please do not turn this into a rant or gun control issue

hot883

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and families of the shooting in Utah Mall. An 18 y.o. shot and killed 4-5 and wounded as many before being shot himself by the police. Barry

jmick

It surprises me that there isn't more knife violence in our country.
Very sad to see this and sad to read about the gunman who killed 3 in Phily before turning the gun on himself.

windmill

Always a tragedy when innocent, good people die as a result of a maniac.
I've always wandered why the people that do this stuff don't just shoot themselves first. It's obvious this one, as I'm sure others before him, knew they were going to be killed either at the scene or at the hands of a state appointed executioner.
I wonder if he's a product of un-caring parents who don't have enough time to instill proper values and morals in their child, or a product of a society that devalues those that aren't athletic, attractive, obnoxious, or materialistically shallow.....
Well, I suppose he coulda just been plain psychotic. Such is life - those trying to live a peacefull, simple and quiet life among those who wish to live a powerfull, complicated, noticable and/or materialistic one.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Jmick
It surprises me that there isn't more knife violence in our country.
Very sad to see this and sad to read about the gunman who killed 3 in Phily before turning the gun on himself.
My thoughts and prayers go to all of the victims and their families as well.

babomonkey

Very very sad.... Prayers to the familys.
Has Utah changed? I wonder why there were no ruturn fires? The reports show that he took time to reload , if someone had a CCW. Then maybe he could have been stopped before the cops showed up. Just speculation I know.
This is the very reason im always aware of my surroundings.
Anyways.... Very sad.. Thoughts and prayers inbound to the familys.

reefnut

It's hard to understand what would make a 18y old kid do something like this... and why in a family establishment like Trolley Square?? Makes no sense... my thoughts and prayers also go out to the victims and families. It's sad...

saltn00b

another sad 'teen in a trenchcoat' affair. these seem to become commonplace in this country, and it will be pretty amazing and interesting when they can accurately pin point the psychological basis for this behavior.
jmick - i am not surprised at all that there are not more knife attacks in the states. Knives are way too personal. There is no guarantee that you can survive an attack, as an attacker, and most cases you arent going to leave an attack unscathed.
Gun attacks in contrast, are over in a fraction of a second, matter not one's personal strength, and can be carried out from impersonal ranges of over a mile away (snipers). Guns are just too easy of an option, and the boom-stick / finger of god factor is just too enticing.

jmick

Originally Posted by saltn00b
another sad 'teen in a trenchcoat' affair. these seem to become commonplace in this country, and it will be pretty amazing and interesting when they can accurately pin point the psychological basis for this behavior.
jmick - i am not surprised at all that there are not more knife attacks in the states. Knives are way too personal. There is no guarantee that you can survive an attack, as an attacker, and most cases you arent going to leave an attack unscathed.
Gun attacks in contrast, are over in a fraction of a second, matter not one's personal strength, and can be carried out from impersonal ranges of over a mile away (snipers). Guns are just too easy of an option, and the boom-stick / finger of god factor is just too enticing.
I was being sarcastic, it's much easier to kill with a gun and like you said less personal.

saltn00b

ah! sarcasm is one of the few things that doesnt translate so well over forums - unless its really really obvious heh

sepulatian

We had that happen in a mall near me 2 years ago. A guy entered through Best Buy and just kept shooting. He was out to get shot by the police (which he did). He made it most of the way through the mall shooting randomly in different directions before the police finally got him. Later the authorities looked into his life to figure out why this guy would do such a thing. All they could come up with was that he was depressed and wanted to die (based on interviews with those that knew him). He did this on a Sunday afternoon when it is mostly families in the mall because he was depressed. My heart goes out to all of the victims and their families of this sort of sensless violence.