Please explain a cycle to this newbie.

scott v

What exacltly is a cycle and how do you read it or manage it?
Thanks
No tank yet, just getting one started. This is it. I wonder if this might not be a good starter one, but it was free with stand.
Opinions?

dzones

hi again!
cycling is essentially getting the bacteria working for you in regards to the amonia broken down into nitrites and then into nitrates.
I strongly suggest you purchase some test kits for the following:
nitrites
nitrates
ammonia
phosphates
ph
salinity (hydrometer is needed here)
if you are strapped for cash then you can get a Red Sea marine kit for about 40-45 at the local fish store (lfs)
otherwise i would highly recommend the salifert test kits. very nice quality.
As for the cycle i would suggest searching on this board for just that and you will find some excellent procedures and explanations that can go much deeper that I can.

squidd

To do a search...Type in "Cycle" or "nitrogen cycle" in the "search this forum" box on the bottom of the New Hobbyists page...
:cool:

tlk

IMO. the larger tanks are easier for the beginner because they tend to be more forgiving. You still need to stay on top of things, but not like the nano tanks.

scott v

Thanks for the input guys! :)
I have been reading the board for a few days now, just got started and I have searched for many things and cycle just didnt come to mind, but duh, good idea :)
Thanks for your input on the test kits. Specific names help, so I will look into those test kits.
Scott