Please help before I totally lose it!

0828dawn

I've read soo much that my eyes hurt! I'm looking to break down my 55 gallon freshwater community tank and convert it over to a saltwater with fish and maybe coral later on down the line. I definately want to do live rock and would like to go with cured because I don't want to have to deal with the smell (asthmatic) and would like to know if their is such a thing as a premium cured rock that you can basically rinse with a saltwater mix and drop in your tank? <okay...i'm totally new and don't shred me apart if this doesn't exist>.

This is what I have so far:

**55 gallon tank with glass cover (thinking upgrade to 90g. glass in future)
**Coralife 48" 260 watt lunar $214.96 & (backup--->)110 watt compact Fluorescent lighting
**(2) emperor 400's (eventually want to do away with, not enough room for them IF I get the 90g... Eheim Pro 3 2080/Eheim Pro 3e 2078?? for the future upgrade if filters are needed?)
**Reefmaster RO/DI 100gpd System $169.00
**2 Maxi-jet 1200 power heads $41.98
**RedSea Wavemaster Pro $89.70
**300 watt theo hydor heater
**2 self stick digital thermometers (placed top left and bottom right)
**48lb bucket of Marine Land Instant Ocean Sea Salt
**Instant Ocean Hydrometer $7.01
**API Saltwater master test kit $19.45
**Coralife AquaGloves
**digital timer
**Paletta's "The New Marine Aquarium" book $16.99+tx.
**Water Siphon & 5 gallon buckets for partials
**Mag-Float Algae Magnet
**tetra deep water 96 & whisper 30-60 air pump
I know I still need the protein skimmer and the substrate (going with dry sand...probably aragonite or something really really fine). Any recommendations on a protein skimmer that DOESN'T require a sump. Sorry, but absolutely no room for a sump. Possibly getting a SeaClone 100 for fairly cheap...still looking at others though just in case. Would like equipment to be suitable for 90 gallon in case of future upgrade. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
These are what we have started to narrow down to possibles to go in the tank once it's done:

E.Coral Beauty Angelfish (A) $22.99 R 2”-3” Adult=4” (peaceful-semi-aggressive)
M.Royal Gramma $9.99 2” Adult=3” (peaceful)
E.Lawnmower-Orange Spotted $22.99 2”-3” Adult= (docile)
M.Bangaii Cardinal $24.99 2”-3” Adult=3” (peaceful)
E.Percula Clownfish-Aqua cultured $15.99 1”-2” Adult= (peaceful)
E.True Percula Clownfish- $26.99 1-2” Adult= (peaceful)
E.Clown Goby – Citron $12.99 1” Adult=2” (peaceful)
E.Clown Goby – Green $9.99 1” Adult=2” (peaceful)
E.Firefish Goby $12.99 2” Adult=3” (peaceful)
M.Jawfish $14.99 (yellow) 2”-3” Adult=4” (peaceful)
Bullet Goby $19.99 (#1 for algae control)
Purple Fish Goby
E.Shrimpgoby – Barbershop $24.99 1” Adult= (peaceful)
E.Shrimpgoby – Tangaroa $19.99 1”-2” Adult=3” (peaceful)
M.Pennant Fairy Wrasse $19.99 2” Adult=2.5” (peaceful)
E.Blueleg Hermit Crab-Group of 10 $9.99 1” Adult=2” (semi-aggressive)
E.Scarlet Hermit Crab $3.49 1” Adult=2” (semi-aggressive)
E.Cleaner Shrimp $21.99 1”-2” Adult=2” (peaceful)
E.Coral Banded Shrimp $8.99 1”-2” Adult=1” (Only get 1 unless mated) (semi-aggr.)
E.Peppermint Shrimp - Group of 5 $19.99 ¾” Adult=2” (semi-aggressive)
E.Pistol Shrimp – Randalli $19.99 ½” Adult=4” (peaceful)
E.=Easy Care level M.=Moderate Care level
ALSO, how many inch of adult fish in a 55 gallon? I have read soo many different recommendations and would like to know a safe estimate to go with?

1journeyman

Welcome to the forums.
That's a huge post.. i'll hit it tomorrow. Keep reading! You'll appreciate all the info once you get your tank setup.

geoj

You will know how many fish you can add by the nitrate level. So you will need that test. It is the test that when returns to zero you know the start up cycle is done. So add 2 or 3 fish at a time and keep the nitrate as low as you can. By the way fish only tanks can take as much or more maintenance then some reefs. You will have more confidence in your tank at the end of the cycle. So don’t rule out going reef strait of the bat. Cured rock, you get what you pay for, and when you get the rock it will only be mostly cured.

ducky

I just got a great deal on rock from Craig's List and someone was tearing down their reef tank. That would be the best way to go if you have the opportunity. I only paid $3 lb and it came with beautiful mushrooms and star polyps and several other unknown corals. I already had 100+ lbs of LR that was in a previous tank and it was about 7 yrs old so my tank was not going to cycle with the new rock and the corals would have no problems. You might check with the LFS in your area and they may have some cured rock. Call them before you are ready to put it in the tank and they may be able to cure it for you until you are ready. As far as that goes you can cure it in a trash can in the garage with a heater, ph and skimmer, then you don't have to worry about the smell and you know for sure it is done right.

skipperdz

lfs's sell live rock, most go for 5.99lb.
in a 55g it really depends on the fish you have in there. my limit on my 55 is 5 fish. they dont allow a 6th to survive.
remora c skimmer is a hangon or in sump...no assembly required

renogaw

no offense, but trying to read those colors hurt my eyes as well. now.. let me go read your post :)
Originally Posted by 0828dawn
I've read soo much that my eyes hurt! I'm looking to break down my 55 gallon freshwater community tank and convert it over to a saltwater with fish and maybe coral later on down the line. I definately want to do live rock and would like to go with cured because I don't want to have to deal with the smell (asthmatic) and would like to know if their is such a thing as a premium cured rock that you can basically rinse with a saltwater mix and drop in your tank? <okay...i'm totally new and don't shred me apart if this doesn't exist>.

This is what I have so far:

**Coralife 48" 260 watt lunar $214.96 & (backup--->)110 watt compact Fluorescent lighting
**(2) emperor 400's (eventually want to do away with, not enough room for them IF I get the 90g... Eheim Pro 3 2080/Eheim Pro 3e 2078?? for the future upgrade if filters are needed?)
**Coralife AquaGloves
**digital timer
**Mag-Float Algae Magnet
I know I still need the protein skimmer and the substrate (going with dry sand...probably aragonite or something really really fine). Any recommendations on a protein skimmer that DOESN'T require a sump. Sorry, but absolutely no room for a sump. Possibly getting a SeaClone 100 for fairly cheap...still looking at others though just in case. Would like equipment to be suitable for 90 gallon in case of future upgrade. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
These are what we have started to narrow down to possibles to go in the tank once it's done:

Purple Fish Goby
E.Blueleg Hermit Crab-Group of 10 $9.99 1” Adult=2” (semi-aggressive)
E.Scarlet Hermit Crab $3.49 1” Adult=2” (semi-aggressive)
E.Cleaner Shrimp $21.99 1”-2” Adult=2” (peaceful)
E.Coral Banded Shrimp $8.99 1”-2” Adult=1” (Only get 1 unless mated) (semi-aggr.)
E.Peppermint Shrimp - Group of 5 $19.99 ¾” Adult=2” (semi-aggressive)
E.Pistol Shrimp – Randalli $19.99 ½” Adult=4” (peaceful)
E.=Easy Care level M.=Moderate Care level
ALSO, how many inch of adult fish in a 55 gallon? I have read soo many different recommendations and would like to know a safe estimate to go with?

reefer545

If you can find Fiji Premium cured (and I know you can) rock that is sometimes the prettiest. Dont buy all DRY sand. You can buy 2 20 lb bags of aragonite straight from the ocean and tehn use druy for the rest innoculate it with the living bacteria you want/ need
Your stock list will be WAY too much. RESEARCH before you buy anything and try to keep your fish load down to a minimum as it will prove to keep your tank as easily maintained as possible.
Good luck, keep us informed of how it is progressing.

renogaw

as long as the stand is the same size, you should be fine to upgrade. remember, bigger tank means more rock, sand, water, better lights, etc etc etc.
go with the corallife if you want to do lower light corals.
someone else can answer
try for a lower output per day to save money
if that's each, you're getting ripped off. also, spend the money on hydor koralia's maybe 2's or 3's. much better pump and you'll hate the suction cups on the mj's
wory about this later
won't fit in your tank. it will be too long. either go with 2 smaller ones, or maybe a 200w
ehh, your better off with a standard thermometer. their suction cups last longer.
this is good
worthless. spend the money on a refractometer
mixed reviews on the accuracy of their test kits. saliferts have supposedly fixed their problems, but there are other better ones.
**Coralife AquaGloves
love em
**digital timer
you'll need a lot of timers, but most don't have three prongs. if you get a 3 or 4' wiremold strip power, and add power supplies with regular dial timers you'll be better off.
love the book, but there are others too.
don't spend too much. a 5' piece of 3/8 or 1/2 clear tubing and a bucket from walmart are fine. once you start going through your salt buckets you can use them as well.
**Mag-Float Algae Magnet
perfect
do not use air pumps in salt system, especially since you're not going skimmer right away.
part two in a little. but seriously, if you're going to get a stand, you have room for a sump. and you can easily make it out of a 20 gallon tank :)

teresaq

Hi and Welcome. My first tank was a 55 gal converted from fresh to salt.

Most everything you have sounds pretty good. Same size lights I had, and I could keep most all soft corals. Mushrooms, Zoos, Leathers, Xenia.
Aqua Remora Pro is a perfect skimmer for this tank. It is a hang on, and its just plug and go. You just adjust the waste cup to the height you need.
The hang on back filters are fine, just need to be cleaned often, and if you get the skimmer, you will only be able to fit one. I also had a canister filter on mine, and it worked great.
most people dont use the glass covers.
I used the maxijet, but wish I had a little more flow. The new hydor koralia's look like they would give a nice flow.
fish
You have way to many for that size tank.
Purple Fish Goby
The lawnmower, jawfish, bulley goby and two shrimp gobies will all fight. pick one or maybe two.
only one clown gobie,
and either the angel or the wrasse.
Go thrugh and cut out at least 6 to start with then you may need to cut a couple of more.
Good Luck
TeresaQ

0828dawn

Originally Posted by renogaw
as long as the stand is the same size, you should be fine to upgrade. remember, bigger tank means more rock, sand, water, better lights, etc etc etc.
go with the corallife if you want to do lower light corals.
someone else can answer
try for a lower output per day to save money
if that's each, you're getting ripped off. also, spend the money on hydor koralia's maybe 2's or 3's. much better pump and you'll hate the suction cups on the mj's
wory about this later
won't fit in your tank. it will be too long. either go with 2 smaller ones, or maybe a 200w
ehh, your better off with a standard thermometer. their suction cups last longer.
this is good
worthless. spend the money on a refractometer
mixed reviews on the accuracy of their test kits. saliferts have supposedly fixed their problems, but there are other better ones.
**Coralife AquaGloves
love em
**digital timer
you'll need a lot of timers, but most don't have three prongs. if you get a 3 or 4' wiremold strip power, and add power supplies with regular dial timers you'll be better off.
love the book, but there are others too.
don't spend too much. a 5' piece of 3/8 or 1/2 clear tubing and a bucket from walmart are fine. once you start going through your salt buckets you can use them as well.
**Mag-Float Algae Magnet
perfect
do not use air pumps in salt system, especially since you're not going skimmer right away.
part two in a little. but seriously, if you're going to get a stand, you have room for a sump. and you can easily make it out of a 20 gallon tank :)
Renogaw, absol. no room for sump, also all the above equipment is what I already have...and the price for the maxi-jets were for both shipped to my door. I went with them because they will work and are suggested with the wavemaster pro. The future possible upgrade of the 90g. will work since the stand I have the 55g on IS a 90 g. stand. Thank you for taking the time though to provide me with your opinions...all information is beneficial and greatly appreciated :)

0828dawn

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
Hi and Welcome. My first tank was a 55 gal converted from fresh to salt.

Most everything you have sounds pretty good. Same size lights I had, and I could keep most all soft corals. Mushrooms, Zoos, Leathers, Xenia.
Aqua Remora Pro is a perfect skimmer for this tank. It is a hang on, and its just plug and go. You just adjust the waste cup to the height you need.
The hang on back filters are fine, just need to be cleaned often, and if you get the skimmer, you will only be able to fit one. I also had a canister filter on mine, and it worked great.
most people dont use the glass covers.
I used the maxijet, but wish I had a little more flow. The new hydor koralia's look like they would give a nice flow.
fish
You have way to many for that size tank.
Purple Fish Goby
The lawnmower, jawfish, bulley goby and two shrimp gobies will all fight. pick one or maybe two.
only one clown gobie,
and either the angel or the wrasse.
Go thrugh and cut out at least 6 to start with then you may need to cut a couple of more.
Good Luck
TeresaQ
Your exactly what I was looking for! Someone who basically has/had a similar setup. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Also, as far as the fish..that was a condensed list of what I was considering...not the actual list of what I was putting in a tank

What would you personally recommend for a tank of this size with wanting it to be peaceful as possible without anyone ripping the others apart (I know its a chance you take...I did freshwater previously)...I'm hoping to go with small and colorful creatures rather than just minimal big.

Of course nothing will be added until the tank is completely cycled...I'm pre-planning and ordered everything a lil at a time and hoping to start breaking my freshwater tank down by the end of this month.

renogaw

Originally Posted by 0828dawn
Renogaw, absol. no room for sump, also all the above equipment is what I already have...and the price for the maxi-jets were for both shipped to my door. I went with them because they will work and are suggested with the wavemaster pro. The future possible upgrade of the 90g. will work since the stand I have the 55g on IS a 90 g. stand. Thank you for taking the time though to provide me with your opinions...all information is beneficial and greatly appreciated :)

oops... was early and without glasses. plus that blue/red... LOL

oceansidefish

Here is a good rule of thumb to go by when picking tank mates... Many species (NOT ALL) will not tolerate another in a tank of that size. Also be careful of the small fish such as dotty backs or damsels many can turn into tank terrors. Also start by adding one fish at a time with the most timid species going in first. Then wait a week and add another, patience is the key in this hobby. Of course you COULD put in several at a time but in my oppinion slower is better. I would say no more than about 6 small to medium size fish for a while. If this was my tank this is what I would go with...
Pair of clowns (Add these together however and get juvies)good personalities and will host things such as frogspawn and torch corals
Goby and pistol shrimp pair (these Dig and make burrows but are fun to watch) if you get these guys make sure you put your rockwork in first and then the sand when setting up the tank, you want the rocks on the glass
Coral Beauty - they are just pretty
Firefish - Colorfull (These you could add two of)

0828dawn

Thanks soo Much for all the great advice!

I got the SeaClone 100 fairly cheap (I'll keep in mind the AquaC Remora Pro for when the SeaClone dies out).
Can't wait for everything to come in to get the tank started!
Ohh, and the fish recommendations were great! So glad I came across this site