Please help, brown alge outbreak...

pruden_sac

H2O, LR/LS are almost 7 weeks old but the tank is a 1 week old upgrade (leaky 38g to new 45g). I've got an outbreak of brown alge on the glass & sand. If this is a diatom bloom I don't understand why I'm geeting it now? I already had one in the last tank.
I added 5 Turbo's and 5 Scarlet Hermits when I got this new tank. The snails are staying on the rocks and glass, the scarlets are staying hiden in the LR somewhere, I can only see 1 of them.
What should I do about the alge? Add more Snails (what kind) and Hermits (what kind) or what? Please help.

ren

Also water source? you added more water for the larger tank. Pretty sure the 3 fuels for it are feeding,lighting, and water source/quality.

jakob4001

it's still possible to have another diatom cycle in the upgrade tank; maybe try lawnmower blenny; but it will only consume so much;may have to just wait it out

jimlssc24

I went out got and asked my LFS how to get rid of it and they had me buy red slime remover. I that at first that this would not work because i had brown slime i did a water change and add the red slime remover and i have nerver had a problem again
Jim

pruden_sac

I just added an "Alge Blenny" and 5 more Scarlet Hermits. We'll see how they do. My LFS told me to get the alge on the glass myself.
I thought the Lawnmower Blenny was for hair alge?

jakob4001

nope, will pick at just about any algae on LR or glass...little puckered lip marks all overback glass & side; course, like I said earlier, it will only consume to it's fill...at some point reaches a bloated belly limit & doesn't tend to consume as much...