Please help me identify this stuff!

thud

Originally Posted by ruaround
the URL doesnt work...
I saw something similar to this at our local aquarium and it was attached to rocks AND was like a RUG on the back of the tank!!
It was sooo cool.

viper_930

Looks like an encrusting gorgonian. They grow very fast and covers everything. Not someone I'd want in my tank.

thud

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
Looks like an encrusting gorgonian. They grow very fast and covers everything. Not someone I'd want in my tank.
hahah thanks!

thud

Is it an algae or an invert? Where can I buy it and what requirements does it need to survive?
I cant believe I finally have the name of it. Ive wanted it for so long.

petjunkie

Gorgonian are kinda in their own group, but that kind is very similiar to green star polyps, easy to keep and will grow over everything if you don't control it. Something like that you would want to place on the sand or distant from other rocks so you can frag it off to control growth.

thud

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Gorgonian are kinda in their own group, but that kind is very similiar to green star polyps, easy to keep and will grow over everything if you don't control it. Something like that you would want to place on the sand or distant from other rocks so you can frag it off to control growth.
Im thinking about putting it on the BACK of my aquarium. Like a rug. Where do you think I could find this stuff? Any good place online? My local aquarium has it but its in their display tank. Maybe they'll cut me off a piece.

ciroth

Originally Posted by thud
Im thinking about putting it on the BACK of my aquarium. Like a rug. Where do you think I could find this stuff? Any good place online? My local aquarium has it but its in their display tank. Maybe they'll cut me off a piece.
Very common piece in my opinion should be easy to find just about anywhere. Personally I always shop local before going online.

thud

Originally Posted by Ciroth
Very common piece in my opinion should be easy to find just about anywhere. Personally I always shop local before going online.
I figured it would be easier to get online because I thought it was rare.

ciroth

Originally Posted by thud
I figured it would be easier to get online because I thought it was rare.
Nah not at all I see them in all the time, them and the neon green version which people seem to prefer more for the color. It kinda ends up looking like a carpet of grass since it's green.