Please help me set up my new 150 Gallon tank ... which wet/dry,lights,pro skim.,etc.

af330i

Hello Everyone, I am upgrading from a 65 gallon Saltwater set up to a 150 gallon Oceanic reef ready rectangle tank 72 x 18 x 29
It is going to be for fish only such as Tangs, a few puffers, etc.
I need to know what and where to get what I need to make my tank successful and would really appreciate your help

Here is the equipment I am looking for but have no idea what size/models to get:
1) wet/dry bio ball/sump (what media to go with it) I am being quoted from the LFS a kent reef carbon 4.5 lb filter and 5 gallon 1in bio-balls)
2) protein skimmer
3) uv sterilizer
4) a water pump to get the water back into the main tank from the sump
5) nice light fixture (though it doesn't have to be too extreme I would like a good set-up)
6) in sump heater (I figure either 2 200 watts or 1 300 watt)
7) LFS recommended a aqua plug ---. ground probe - do I need this ?
thanks for any help you can give me ... thanks

acrylic51

Recommendations look good......I would put the UV sterilizer on the back burner for now and spend the extra cash on a good skimmer....UV isn't really necessary. If your worried about ick or such that is what the LFS should be telling you a quarantine tank is for....
I would also opt for an external pump if you have room under the stand......Not a fan on submersible pumps, but Mags are dependable.....Lighting doesn't have to be an overkill since just doing FO

jasenhicks

I agree with acrylic... UV sterilizers, while good if you have a bad disease or spore bloom in your tank, isnt a necessity on a tank. I would focus on a good skimmer, excalibur is a good one i use and is less expensive, or ASM-G is good too.. I have a quiet one pump thats working very well.. not sure how others rate them but i have had no problems... dolphin pumps are good too... iwaki as well. Heaters are well, heaters... i have a typical glass heater thats 300W for my 75 gallon. And for lighting... since its a FO tank, you could get away with something very inexpensive because fish dont really care if the light is really bright, just as long as they have a day and night cycle.
Just my $.02.