Please Help! Possible bleach residue in tank...

allirudy

Please help! I re-activated my Purigen with bleach yesterday, de-chlorinated, and put it back in the tank early this morning. After work (9 hours later) I discovered my skimmer CRAZY full of bubbles. The fishies look fine, even the snails look OK. The anemone and zooanthid corals aren't super-happy though. I re-read the re-activation instructions and realized I didn't use enough dechlorinator. I just finished doing a 15% water change, and turned off the skimmer for now because it's doing nothing but overflowing... I also added some dechlorinator directly into the tank.
What else can I do? Will the bleach residue kill my live rock? If the fish and inverts seem OK, am I OK?
Such a stupid mistake -
- please help! I don't want any of my little buddies dying on me!
THANK YOU in advance for any help!

anonome

Agree on using carbon. You did good by adding dechlorinator to the tank. Also, turn on the skimmer and empty it . The carbon will really help. Good luck. But, if the fish and especially the inverts are ok chances are the tank will be fine, As far as the live rock, should be fine, but I would watch for a mini cycle if the rock was affected. (hopefully not)

allirudy

Sounds good - thank you both so much for your help. This morning everybody still seems to be doing well. The anemone is looking much happier. I tend to use the anemone and corals as indicators of how the tank is doing. Seems they're the trickier ones to keep happy.
The Live Rock issue is tough -- how will I know if it was affected? Could I throw in a bottle of "start up" additive to re-introduce the micro-organisms? Or would that overload the bio-load?

N

nereef

imo, it's the dechlorinator that is causing the skimmer to go crazy. i could be wrong, but i was under the impression that saltwater neutralized Cl pretty quickly also. i'm not saying you shouldn't rinse something you bleached, but i wouldn't worry that much about it.

kogle

The chlorine goes away pretty quickly even though it smells like it sticks around.
+1 on the carbon though and change it daily or every other day.

allirudy

Ok, roger that on the filter. Going to get more right now. Skimmer looks much improved but pump is putting out lots of tiny bubbles. Not sure what that's about. I thought I'd also re-introduce "start up"-type bacteria additive in case I've depleted the count with the bleach or repeated water changes.
Then I guess sit and wait?
fish still look fine - some zooanthids are open again - anemone is "out" but not his usual nice color...
28gal biocube w/ protein skimmer
still using bio-balls - also using charcoal currently
1 black perc (maurice)
1 lawnmower blenny (chewbacca)
1 yellow clown goby (lemon)
1 pajama cardinal (hef)
1 pygmy angel (warren moon)
1 cleaner shrimp (marcellas wallace)
1 fire shrimp (uncle D)
turbo snails, nerite snails, hermits
zooanthid coral
devils finger coral
bubbletip anemone

N

nereef

don't waste your money on the bacteria in a bottle. a cycled tank will never need it, and you can't significantly reduce your tanks bacteria from water changes. bacteria are common on surface area, not in the water.