Please help!! Powder Blue Tang Died

bill miller

If anyone can help me, my powder blue tang died, he looked like he had ick, I spoke with the man at the fish store and he said they get it alot, if it is not bad do not treat, well, a week later he is dead. I have a yellow tang, a blue hippo tang and a clown fish, the clown fish looks fine, the yellow and the blue, look like they are starting to get some spots. I have 125 gallon tank with live rock and sand, a coral banded shrimp, a sally lightfoot, a watchman gobbie and lots of snails and crabs. My husband drives a truck and is in Minnesota, am here I am with dying fish and no clue what to do, my fish are my babies and I don't want to lose anymore. Please if someone can help me I would greatly apprecate it. Also, we are moving in 12 days and are moving the tank. Please Help!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Bill Miller
If anyone can help me, my powder blue tang died, he looked like he had ick, I spoke with the man at the fish store and he said they get it alot, if it is not bad do not treat, well, a week later he is dead. I have a yellow tang, a blue hippo tang and a clown fish, the clown fish looks fine, the yellow and the blue, look like they are starting to get some spots. I have 125 gallon tank with live rock and sand, a coral banded shrimp, a sally lightfoot, a watchman gobbie and lots of snails and crabs. My husband drives a truck and is in Minnesota, am here I am with dying fish and no clue what to do, my fish are my babies and I don't want to lose anymore. Please if someone can help me I would greatly apprecate it. Also, we are moving in 12 days and are moving the tank. Please Help!!
The fact that you are moving complicates things. All of your fish need to be treated for ich, whether they show signs or not. Is there any way to move them to a stable location, such as someone elses house, to do treatment? You can try a reef safe med such as Stop Parasites or Kick Ich for now. It will help keep the parasites off of the fish for two weeks until you can move them and treat them properly. Please read about hyposalinity in the Common Treatments FAQ located at the top of the disease and treatment forum.

bill miller

I can move the 3 fish to my in-laws home for the treatment, or use one of the things you said to use, the people we brought our new home from are letting us move the fish tank in 2 days before settlement, so we could properly move the tank and fish. Like I said before I'll do whatever it takes to keep my fish alive and healthy, as you can tell, it's now 3:45 am and I am still up checking the fish. This tank has been set up for almost a year now and no problems until now. I tested the water, below are the results
PH 8.4
Sal: 1.025
Amm 0
No2 0
No3 0
Phos. Normal
Mag Normal
Temp 77.1
Cal 480 - 500
My live rock is almost completely covered w/coraline, my coral banded shrimp molts faithfully every 3 weeks, as does the sally and the emerald crabs. I just don't get it. We have appox 100 lbs of sand Fiji and approx 110 lbs of rock. We had a 75 gallon tank for about a year and then decided to upgrade.
I would assume that you can not treat our display tank, as you stated remove the fish. Should I remove them now and treat with the things you suggested or remove them and set up a seperate tank at my in-laws, as it will be another 10 days before I can move the tank. Whatever you suggest.
Also, thank you for taking the time to help me. It is greatly appreciated by my fish and me!!!!!

earlybird

I don't know when you bought that fish or if you have added anything recently that could have brought ich into your tank. It really doesn't matter the cause now anyhow as all your fish need to be treated. Like Sep said above "Please read about hyposalinity in the Common Treatments FAQ located at the top of the disease and treatment forum."
The problem as it sounds to me is that you do not currently have a working/cycled hospital or quarantine tank. I would set one up in your new home. Read the thread below about hypo and QT. You don't have the luxury of waiting 30-40 days for the QT to cycle so you can add a little sand and if you have any filter sponges in your DT you can throw that in which will really help keep with the nitrification process. You should NOT use rock in your QT. You'll need to have constantly be mixing water and test frequenntly in the event of an ammonia and nitrite spike which can be deadly to your fish. Be prepared to do frequent water changes. You also must have a properly calibrated Refractometer to perform hypo.
Good luck