Please Help: Tell the Aquarium Industry!!!!!

Aquarium industry, please, please, please make us a viable and reasonably priced sump refugium. My D.I.Y. refugium sump is OK and the hang-on-the-back Aquafuge is a decent feeder refugium, but I want a commercial refugium sump. The EcoSystem model is far too small, too costly and has some serious design flaws. I want someone like CPR to make a good Refugium sump. I'm going to start screaming from the mountains and it would be great if I wasn't alone. There just isn't a good refugium sump on the market.
I'm upset because I just tested the tank again and my dang LR/DSB-EuroReef Skimmer tank has Nitrates to the roof... again! My two overcrowded refugium setups are, of course, at 0! I'm headed off on a work trip abroad and I'm going to be stressing about my damned Nitrate-ridden, refugium-less tank again. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and D.I.Y. one when I get back.
I guess my beef isn't as much fact that I have to make one as it is the fact that I feel like a freak for using one. Why hasn't this caught on? Why am I not bombarded with literature, displays, display tanks, etc. showing off refugiums everywhere. It irks me that most LFSs are still pushing trickle filters. Wake up industry! Refugiums are here! Can't someone that doesn't charge outrageous prices for poorly designed products start to make some? Can't the LFSs be educated? Can't we all stop fighting Nitrates, adding tons of additives, etc.?
I want to see tanks with built-in refugiums, tank stands with reef display on-top and beautiful refugium displays on the bottom, etc. I AM NOT A FREAK!!!!! GIVE ME REFUGIUMS!!!!!!!!!
I hope this rant was OK with you, because I feel a lot better.
:eek:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Tangs...very good post! But I think it will get more attention in our Equiptment and DIY section, so, I'm moving it there.
The Aquarium is mostly for non-hobby related communications.
See you over in EQUIPT & DIY!
:D
I thought the Equiptment experts and enthusists might be able identify with this one, and maybe keep us posted about any updates on the reality of this happening. Like Tangs, I'd love to see a viable manufactured sump! Anyone know of manufactures considering doing this??
[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

D

dietrich

i here you tang. i want to start a reef tank and use a ref. sump but dont have enough time to build one. LFS should carry ref. sumps. but itll be a while before they do. :(

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Good point, Trey! But it seems like with so many DIY-ers in this hobby, even on this BB, that someone would start up their own buz making custom sumps, refg.
Made to Order.

ironreef

My lsf uses a huge ecosystem. been set up for over a year. It became ridden with hair alga and purple hair. They only have one fish =sailfin. Its a reef. All the lfs under this name use ecosystems some of the tanks look real nice= doesn't matter what you use its the person taking care of it. FWIW diy is cheap and imo nicer if you have skills. I have an alga tank but run a skimmer also. caulerpa can reales back into the tank. But for me I feed so much I prefer skimming. I shut it off now and then , theres always mass junk being collected.And I wouldn't worry about nitrates unless there are going up and up 20+ but if you have nitrates with good skimming, theres waste in there somewhere not being eating. I've keep skimmerless tank with low nitrates with just a dsb no caulerpa.