Please help with live sand!

arkham

Please help ! My live sand is turning a diry brownish green clear .It looks super dirty but my fish look ok. Please help , what should i do ? It seems to be only affrcting one of my fish!

clint_reno

I am a newbie, but from what I have read on this forum, the brown algae you are experiencing is a normal cycling condition, perhaps even a favorable one.
My tank cycled, and experienced a bounty of brown algae growth all over my beautiful white sand. Provided your water is clear, and your test levels are normal, I think you might be okay.
I am sure some of the others here may be able to advise you better, but you may be ready for a clean-up crew to munch on the brown algae.
Can't really comment on the one affected fish.

cprdnick

What are all of your parameters?
How many fish do you currently have in the tank?
What kind are they?
What fish is being affected by the bloom?
How old is the tank?
How did you cycle the tank?
Is this a Reef or FOWLR/FO?
A clean up crew would certainly be a good purchase right now as long as you don't have any fish that thrive off of janitors. As the previous post stated, this sounds like a normal thing. They are diatoms and become largely abundant right at or after the end of the initial cycle. Answer my questions and I and others will be able to help you out in more detail.
Clint