Please Help With My Plumbing

jden092901

Hey,
Im setting up my 120 reef in a few weeks and I need help with the plumbing. The tank has been drilled in the back, drain is 1" and return is 3/4. I had a custom overflow built into the tank. Now, when I plumb for the drain would it be best to not put pvc in the overflow box...just covering the box with a strainer so inverts and fish down get caught in there. For my return, the pump may be a little too much. I will have a sea swirl, could I put a ball valve on to reduce the flow if needed? I just dont know how to pump it, how to set up for my sea swirl and so on. Is there a diagram online somewhere I can look at?
Thanks again,
Josh

jdl

Originally Posted by jden092901
http:///forum/post/2999021
Hey,
Im setting up my 120 reef in a few weeks and I need help with the plumbing. The tank has been drilled in the back, drain is 1" and return is 3/4. I had a custom overflow built into the tank. Now, when I plumb for the drain would it be best to not put pvc in the overflow box...just covering the box with a strainer so inverts and fish down get caught in there. For my return, the pump may be a little too much. I will have a sea swirl, could I put a ball valve on to reduce the flow if needed? I just dont know how to pump it, how to set up for my sea swirl and so on. Is there a diagram online somewhere I can look at?
Thanks again,
Josh
yes you can use a ball valve if your pump is too much flow. Pics would help. Can you put a standpipe in your overflow?

salt life

if your pump is too much I would try to get my drainage from the tank because if you kick back the ball valve too much it will burn your pump out quicker because of the back pressure, JMO.

jdl

another thing you can do is to T off your return right back into the sump along with ball valves. This way you dont have to restrict your flow from your pump and can dump the excess water that cant be drained from your tank right back to your sump.