Please ID...

T

tizzo

I have an anemone, but I don't know what kind it is... What's it look like to you guys,

T

thomas712

Possibly an LTA, is the foot in the substrate?
What color is the foot?
Can you give us a larger pic?
Thomas

T

thomas712

Posted at the same time.
Coloration is almost exactly like my BTA's, but no bubble tips which doesn't mean anything. BTA's prefer the rock surfaces while LTA's mostly prefer the sand substrates.
Again what color is the foot?
Thomas

T

tizzo

The foot is tan and connected to the underside of the rock. At night it shrivels up and hangs limp. The guy at the LFS said it was a BTA, but when I saw pics of everyone else's... Well I wasn't so sure.

T

thomas712

Thats a rather large one isn't it. Like I said coloration is just like my BTA's, yours seems to have longer tenticals, but no matter, if its enjoying the rocks and has a tan-brown foot then I'd go with BTA as well.
The mouth in the central disk seems to be concave and depressed, no worries, just wonder if its been eating well.
Thomas

T

tizzo

Well I feed it 3 or 4 eraser sized bits of krill soaked in microvert about 3 times a week. But the clown takes food to it everytime I feed the fish!! That pic doesn't do it justice, some days that bad boy gets about a foot across. While pretty, it adds to my confusion as to it's identity.
Or I should say, added to my confusion... Thanks for your input.

ecook

LTA is a common name. It can be used for several anemones with very different habits.
Being a host for a clarkii doesn't help, because clarkii will host in just about anything.
I would say a dorensis (sp?) but I'm not 100%.

T

tizzo

Well I did a search...
The ONLY two things that I have found that may implicate that it is not a LTA (or Doreensis) is that that type likes the substrate as a home as Thomas stated, and that they have more of a pink or reddish foot. I realize that that may not always be the case but in this case I think I'm going to settle on a BTA. That's what the LFS said it was, but it was kinda shriveled up when I bought it (I think he was sleeping, it was late), but when it opened up, I didn't see any "bulbs" so I got concerned. But now I find out that a BTA doesn't always have those bulbs so now I'm happy.
The fish you see is not a Clarkii, it is an A. Sebae. His original sebae anemone died (I didn't read up before I bought one, so I regret to say that his demise was my fault). After it died he looked so lonely so I bought an easier to take care of anemone. It took him 2 days, but he finally jumped in. I think he thought he was "cheating" on his other anemone.

ecook

No, look up the species. Thats a clarkii. Trust me, I just sold a breeding pair and shipped them to NC today. a. sebae is part of the Saddleback complex looking very similiar to the saddleback, sebae is just a incorrect slang name for a. clarkii.

T

tizzo

The only way I have found to tell them apart (from what I've read) is that the Sebae's middle stripe travels up the dorsal fin and flows sorta "bannerlike".

T

tizzo

When I first got him, he was solid black except for his tail and of course his stripes. First his nose turned, then his belly, now he has orange all over his edges. But his stripes still hava a dark brown at the edges. I didn't think that clarkii's changed colors.

ecook

Any fish can change as it matures. Get Joyce Wilkerson's book on clownfish. Borrow it from someone. Heck, go to the LFS and as to see their copy and look at the section on species. Color has nothing to do with the species. Clarkii range from yellow to black. Sebae's have a much more elongated shape to them.
Heck, go check out other popular forums and ask in their clownfish forum. 100% will tell you its a clarkii.
I do a lot of work with clownfish, collecting and identifying rare species, breeding, and working with a tightly knit group of people who help one another acquire top quality breeding pairs (I have a friend at the LFS that allows me to be a major hub for people all over the country....from North Carolina to Oregon (where one pair of a. chrystoperus are going in about a week.)
Trust me. Do some research.

T

tizzo

:yes: OK I will look. I bumped the thread "Fish ID" in the fish discussion Forem for you to look at. It was started by Miss Crayon.

ecook

I checked that thread out, THAT is an a. sebae, but yours is a clarkii. Look at how long bodied her fish is, compared to your's broader body. Look also at the mid stripe, hers is more S-shaped and yours is more straight. Look at the tail color. Even black clarkii have yellow tails, hers has a black tail. Your tail is longer, her is more round. Trust me. Yours is a clarkii, hers is a sebae.
Well, at least its just that you haven't learned the difference yet and not that your learned the term "sebae" for clarkii's from the LFS. That makes me feel a LOT better.

T

tizzo

No, when I got that fish, I was all over the net trying to I.D. it. Some sights even use the same picture to ID the different species. So I just chalked it up to be a Sebae because of that banner thing. Other than that I never did find any other distinguishing features.