Please ID!!!

drogrant

So I picked up a new piece of live rock that has a few creatures on it.....so far I have found a starfish, some small white bugs, a clam and an oyster...i think. I also found this really hairy worm...please tell me what it is and if I should remove it.

flower

Hi,
It's a bristle worm. They are a part of the CUC (Clean Up Crew) they are eaters of the dead, and they also feed on the extra food the fish miss, keeping the tank clean. You got a pretty good piece of live rock, it even has the pretty purple Coraline algae already...

jay0705

Agreed. There good for the tank. I've left mine that hitch hiked in and have had no issues

S

smallreef

Just don't ever touch it...bristle worms as their name would suggest have bristles all over their body.. And they HURT when you accidentally touch them!

S

saxman

I'm with Flower here...altho there are certain BW's (fireworms) that have more potent stings, most aren't a big deal, and even the fireworms are OK if you don't play with them bare-handed. BWs are a great freebie, and their numbers won't go nuts as long as you don't overfeed the tank (like most critters, they bloom when there's a lot of available food). FWIW, I've even seen them eating red cyano off the substrate, and not too many critters touch the stuff.
It took me 15 years to get popped by a BW (actually, a Caribbean fireworm, Eurythoe complanata), and it was no big deal. Just soak the affected area in vinegar for awhile (usually about 5-10 mins), and the bristles will dissolve. Some peeps use duct tape to yank them out, but the vinegar works the best, IME.
Of course, before I did the vinegar thing, Renee had to run and get her camera...

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/395399/please-id#post_3520274
I'm with Flower here...altho there are certain BW's (fireworms) that have more potent stings, most aren't a big deal, and even the fireworms are OK if you don't play with them bare-handed. BWs are a great freebie, and their numbers won't go nuts as long as you don't overfeed the tank (like most critters, they bloom when there's a lot of available food). FWIW, I've even seen them eating red cyano off the substrate, and not too many critters touch the stuff.
It took me 15 years to get popped by a BW (actually, a Caribbean fireworm, Eurythoe complanata), and it was no big deal. Just soak the affected area in vinegar for awhile (usually about 5-10 mins), and the bristles will dissolve. Some peeps use duct tape to yank them out, but the vinegar works the best, IME.
Of course, before I did the vinegar thing, Renee had to run and get her camera...

Vinegar works fantastic for Calcium carbonate based bristles, there just is nothing better. It dissolves the bristle even under the skin, does a mild decontamination (not a true sterilization but pretty good), and if there is venom involved it can reduce the pain as well as reduce the effectiveness of the venom.
It does not work on all Polychaetes though, there are quite a few that have silica based bristles. For these I suggest elmer's glue.