Please offer advice

reefreak29

Originally Posted by slowburn22
I wasnt talking about what you said or really anyone in general on this thread. I was talking about how people typically respond to seahorse comments throughout this board... I actually thought you had informative information, but I didnt agree with the 3 feedings a day portion. Twice a day is adequate in my opinion.
i wasnt flameing you i was just clarifying why some might be a little anal. and how dare u not agree with everything i say

poniegirl

There are truly folks out there (my experience on other boards) who seem to wish to keep seahorse keeping in the dark ages. It is unfortunate.
A knowledge of their habits in the wild, as a base. Some research into current successful keeping practices (look for the most recent! Don't settle for what someone said in 2003). A lot of common sense. Plus a wish to do right by each animal you commit to keep. It sure not rocket science.

reefreak29

You sound like my wife, only she's serious...
i think i just sounded like all wives, my bad

rykna

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
There are truly folks out there (my experience on other boards) who seem to wish to keep seahorse keeping in the dark ages. It is unfortunate.
A knowledge of their habits in the wild, as a base. Some research into current successful keeping practices (look for the most recent! Don't settle for what someone said in 2003). A lot of common sense. Plus a wish to do right by each animal you commit to keep. It sure not rocket science.
AMEN!!! So where can one look for successful keeping practices?? I've been all over the web, emailed 3 aquariums, and 2 professors...and I'm not any closer to feeling confident enough to try housing more seahorses. Most everything is basics...and more basics...tank set up, temp, food, etc...even the medication lists are vague, some suggest that the parasites the claimed Valiant are not treatable...I haven't found any books that have pictures of seahorses in their native habitats. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

slowburn22

Oh and Rykna - YOU are the source of information. After everything you read and all the experiences you discuss with fellow keepers; the rest falls on the hobbiest. Nobody ever got anything accomplished without a little trial and error right? Its the best teaching tool in my opinion.

rykna

Oh and Rykna - YOU are the source of information. After everything you read and all the experiences you discuss with fellow keepers; the rest falls on the hobbiest. Nobody ever got anything accomplished without a little trial and error right? Its the best teaching tool in my opinion.
"Little light bulb clicks on"....
thanks for changing the "burnt out bulb" slowburn22

slowburn22

Glad to be of assistance...
All you need now is a few more years of keeping, a couple more tanks and a solid book deal. I see a seahorse aquaculture facility in your future...

rykna

Glad to be of assistance...
All you need now is a few more years of keeping, a couple more tanks and a solid book deal. I see a seahorse aquaculture facility in your future...

Thanks, you rock!!!

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Rykna
AMEN!!! So where can one look for successful keeping practices?? I've been all over the web, emailed 3 aquariums, and 2 professors...and I'm not any closer to feeling confident enough to try housing more seahorses. Most everything is basics...and more basics...tank set up, temp, food, etc...even the medication lists are vague, some suggest that the parasites the claimed Valiant are not treatable...I haven't found any books that have pictures of seahorses in their native habitats. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Search seahorse with words like scientific and project, biologist is another good one. Many sites will have links that are also good info.
Slowburn has it, though. There is no bonafide "How To" book, site or other keeper that will guarantee success.
If you ever meet a seahorse keeper that is free of guilt, chances are they are good fabricators, too.

monalisa

If you ever meet a seahorse keeper that is free of guilt, chances are they are good fabricators, too.
What do you mean by this?
Lisa

rykna

I think what Michelle is saying is, that if you ever meet someone who says that keeping seahorses is easy, is selling you a line. The books do have the "basics", but it is up to us to make sure that we are going the extra mile to increase our knowledge and skills, especially when it comes to seahorses.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
What do you mean by this?
Lisa
Actually, I mean that if a seahorse keeper tells you they have never made an error that turned out badly for their SH, or they have every answer, then they are not being truthful.
A lot of keeping is trial and error (hence the guilt).
My own guilt stems from years ago (and some more recent) when finding captive bred was not easy...finding wild caught was easy and cheap. The LFS's didn't know much more than us beginners about what those animals required. However, with the guilt came the experience and understanding.
I truly don't think of SH keeping as difficult. But there are a few must do's and must have's.

slowburn22

I truly don't think of SH keeping as difficult. But there are a few must do's and must have's.
Agree 100%

reefkprz

I think you can stretch that statement to any one who has kept fish or corals, occasionally I hear "I have never lost a fish" and I just think "well you've only had him a day give him a few weeks". anyone who ever claims one hundred percent success is either lying, new, Or for the off chance this has ever happened extremely lucky.