Plenums

wamp

I do not just do to the fact that I don't even have a DSB..
I think the plenum idea is a valid one and has worked for me in the past. I chose not to have a plenum in my 180 for many reasons. The main, So I did not have alot of sand in the bottom of the tank. Never have liked a DSB look. They do work well for keeping nitrates lower :)

djpom1

Hi, I built one in my tank, just because doing the research, it sounded like it did alot of good for the live sand. I wanted my tank to look as natural as possilbe, and of course the oceans have sand. I thought for they little bit of work and money, I wanted to do it right the first time.
Dennis

richard rendos

I ran a plenum in my 120 gallon tank for 2 1/2 years. Seemed to be working, but no way to really tell. (nothing to compare it to)
I control nitrates now by using RO/DI water and performing water changes. In my opinion...the best way to control nitrates.

wamp

As Rendos said, RO/DI helps. Regular water changes will control a build up. To not introduce them is the goal. They come from, food, fish waste, replacment water and even some salts. If I had to guess, most peoples comes from overcrowding and overfeeding.
A natrul defense is always the best. A DSB has been shown to work. Plenums have also been shown to work. I belive that regular maintance is the best way to control it.
Live Rock and lots of it is what I depend on.