Plumbing out MJ power head.

murph

Been playing around with equipment ideas with a spar 75 gal tank I picked up. Thanks to signguy I believe it was that advised the use of a cheap dremel to drill out holes for plumbing. Worked well.
no crack, no runs, no drips, thank god.
Began playing around with circulation ideas. We all know power heads have a pretty narrow stream. I like the hydor flow deflectors but I have never had one that functioned properly for more than a few months, they limit the flow of the power head and still have a narrow stream in the center which can blast any coral in the wrong place pretty hard.
Here is what I did. Glued maxi jet to magfloat to secure to side of tank. Took hydor flow deflector adapter that fits to MJ power head. Much to my surprise half inch PVC hot water line (the tan stuff) fits this adapter. I am now free to plumb out the MJ 1200 in a closed loop style. Used black enamel spray paint for lines to match my black background. This kind of makes me feel a tad uneasy but can says lead free and non toxic when dry. LFS says should be fine also. Hows that for famous last words.
Of course any twist and turns in the plumbing will reduce flow but beats the hell out of one narrow stream from power head.

tx reef

You should get something a lot stronger than a MJ 1200 for any kind of closed loop.....
Got any pics?

murph

Originally Posted by TX Reef
You should get something a lot stronger than a MJ 1200 for any kind of closed loop.....
Got any pics?
Agreed; this is for supplemental circulation only and distribute flow better. Return is drilled 3 quarter with mag 9.5. I have extended my return out to the front of the tank and teed there just under surface level. This dos not look as bad as you might think. Its directly under center brace of tank. It does give me a circular flow however. Plan is to install MJ on back pain teed off to break up the flow better. The MJ is the only piece of equipment that is going to be obvious.
I might try just installing a cross fitting at the back of the tank in the return line but I suspect the majority of the flow will make its way out to the front t fitting unless I use more 3/4 plumbing to close loop up top. Might be to much pipe weight for the bulkhead like this also. Hopefully all that made some sense

edit. need to correct myself here. The fitting is half inch union not pipe for initial connection to MJ