Plumbing problem

mcsd22

Just got a 120 acrylic and it has a 1 inch stand pipe for the overflow. I got a 20 gallon sump and bought a aquasurge 2500 pump. Plumbed the pump with twin feeds into the tank. Problem is the overflow will not handle what the pump is putting out. My idea is to drill the back and install a 1.5 inch bulkhead and run that to the sump also. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance. I am new to the sump deal so forgive my lack of knowledge here.

acrylic51

You could drill the back for additional drains, but you have to then plan out where they'll be drilled to prevent from pump shut down to much back flow to the sump.......Any chance of trading pump for smaller pump? You can always throttle it back worse case....

mcsd22

Well I could of enlarged the existing hole but the tank is now full and the hole is on the bottom. That is why I had the drilling the back and just running 2 overflows. With the pump running full throttle it will give me about a 20x turnover and I was kinda looking to keep it high. I have never drilled a tank but I understand that acrylic is easier than glass. Any advise on the drilling procedure.

acrylic51

It's super easy to drill.....What you might want to consider to keep your flow up is if your going to drill and drill the back why not do a CL to get the additional flow your wanting.......

acrylic51

For the CL you could do 1 out to the pump and however many you want back....You could also shut the system down and suck the overflows dry, and remove the original bulkheads and ream the existing holes out to accept bigger bulkheads......

Y

yeffre kix

If your talking about drilling another 1.5" overflow inside the overflow box that could work. You will be dropping the water level inside your overflow box to that level.You don't want to drill a hole outside of the overflow because in the event of power failure your water level in the display tank will drop to the lowest drain.
It seems to me that 1" drain should be able to handle 2500 gph flow and that's not even taking any reduction of pump output into consideration. It makes me wonder why your not getting any more flow back to your sump. What kind of design are you using for your stand-up's? Is any air being drawn in with the water because that will cause a slower drain.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Yeffre Kix
If your talking about drilling another 1.5" overflow inside the overflow box that could work. You will be dropping the water level inside your overflow box to that level.You don't want to drill a hole outside of the overflow because in the event of power failure your water level in the display tank will drop to the lowest drain.
It seems to me that 1" drain should be able to handle 2500 gph flow and that's not even taking any reduction of pump output into consideration. It makes me wonder why your not getting any more flow back to your sump. What kind of design are you using for your stand-up's? Is any air being drawn in with the water because that will cause a slower drain.
Standard design RR tanks each overflow will only handle 600gph each, so 2500gph is a typo or your figures are way wrong.....

mcsd22

I think that the air getting sucked down is a bit of a problem but it is still not big enough to handle the flow. I think as long as theres no problem with it I will drill a 1.5 hole in the top back so that the bottom of the hole matches the height of the top of the standpipe so they both drain off at the same level. That way I dont end up with a mess if the power fails.