Plumbing questions regarding 180 GAL acrylic tank

ocellaris_keeper

I need some plumbing help folks.
I just got a 180 gal acrylic tank from a friend and the overflow system has two holes in the bottom one is 1 7/8" and the other is 3 1/4" in. I need to know what types of plumbing junction ports to keep the thing from leaking on the edges and then what pipes to use within for water transfer.
Any help please?

S

saxman

The 1 7/8" hole is for a 1" bulkhead.
The 3 1/4" hole is for a 2" bulkhead.
I'm guessing the 2" B/H is your drain and the 1" is a return.
Bulkhead fittings come with a rubber gasket to seal against the tank. This gasket goes inside the tank, between the bulkhead flange and the tank.
As for what pipe to use...that's up to you. Personally, I use threaded fittings and black vinyl flex tubing for everything but the drain (I use a slip x slip B/H on the drain with an internal Durso-style standpipe and a smooth-ID corrugated drain line that gets pressure-fitted into the outer part of the drain B/H).
HTH

ocellaris_keeper

awesome - thatnks and I will go to OD and pick a couple up this weekend.
NOW - how do I put the pipes in? is it a through or a glue?

cranberry

it depends on what kind of pipes/fittings you want to use...I use threaded fittings and flexible black vinyl hose for returns and CL's. For main drains, i use the smooth ID corrugated drain hoses and just pressure-fit them into the drain bulkheads (just give them a good twist/shove).

florida joe

Quote:
I need some plumbing help folks.
With all due respect to Renee and Greg I think Meowzer is the expert here

S

saxman

She's doing OK, thanks. I bet the A fib thing really does suck, altho I know Renee would know just how sucky it is since she has done a lot of work with cardiac patients. I hope you're doing well.
The house is slowly getting there...still lots to do. Just got the pump we ordered for that 210 peninsula that I've been dragging my feet on, so I guess I have to figure out the whole "plumb it thru the wall to the outside" thing. If I could find a pre-fab 6' or 7' deck box, it would make my life easier, as it seems like 5' is about the max on them.