Plumbing/Standpipes

pfitz44

Has anyone made there own stand pipes? OR must you but one? What about the bulkheads? Are they included? What different types of stand pipes are there?
Im going from a 55 to a 90, and the 90 has an overflow, so i need to plumb this. My reef tank has sprung a leak.. so needless to say.. time is of the essance
Thanks
Fitzy

sleasia

I made my own standpipe on my chinese fish bowl. search filtering a chinese fish bowl in the equipment thread...there are pics. the problem is with glass tanks the bottom of the tanks may be tempered glass and you cannot drill tempered glass it will shatter. so you may have to drill from the side. My 200 gallon acrylic is drilled from the side and works fine. tomarrow i will show pics of one way you can do a side drilled stand pipe. I have one made for my 150 gall but haven't decided yet whether I will use it or go with an internal overflow box made from acrylic.

sleasia

also search for durso standpipes...they are written up in here somewhere and look pretty good.

acrylic51

Yeah they are super easy to make.....go to dursostandpipe dot com and Rich shows you step by step how to build your own

sleasia

oops...sorry I forgot to post the pic on this thread but it is on this one "diy acrylic overflow on glass" its just pvc going in from the side and angling up to the water surface..check it out, or you can make an overflow box, which is also pictured on that thread. I got my piece of plastic today and will be routing it tomarrow and hopefully bending it with a torch so I will also try to take pics of this as well. The durso standpipes combine the box overflow with the pvc standpipe in a way which cleverly makes everything quieter....