plumbing system for reef tank

jerryreef

Can anyone suggest or have access to blue print for constructing a plumbing system for starters, an 180gal tank, piped down into my basement. Are there any sample plans readily available anywhere on the web?
Thanks

broomer5

What are you planning to do with this 180, gallon tank and plumbing ?
Nor really sure I understand your question :(

pretty basic stuff,water going out from tank to a sump,and water pumping up from the sump going in.

johnnysalt

O3,
what is your email address? It wasn't listed anywhere on your website, nor in your profile. I have some questions for you when you have some time about plumbing and the brand of sand you have. Thanks!
:cool:

jerryreef

Thanks guys, as that was basically my question on the most effective equipment setup to cycle the tank water, suspended tank prefilters, protein skimmers, sump (sump setup and size), calcium reactor, etc.

jerryreef

Hello
So I am finally much closer to getting the project off the ground.
I need some help and direction to finalize my system for my 180-gallon tank.
At another posting, the following additions were recommended
  • add check valve for returns
  • add gate valve for drain to sump
Any experienced comments on the preferred list of plumbing design/system options listed below? Any recommended GPH/flow turnover rate for filtration and closed-loop system?
[list type=decimal]
[*]A close loop (100GPH to 300GPH or much slower flow) system with the 2- 3/4 “(may have to reduce size depending on desired flow) returns converted to drains, and passing through a refugium.
plus the 2-1” as drains into sump with Protein Skimmer.
Over-tank returns would have to be constructed.
Or, the 2-1” Drains split into two, the larger drain directly to sump with protein skimmer and returns;
smaller drain from the split into refugium and back to above sump and to the 2-3/4” returns.
Or, the conventional 2-1” drains to Refugium, to sump and protein skimmer and return to main tank through the provided 2-¾” returns, plus powerheads.
Or conventional drain/sump/return system with refugium, plus close loop system
[/list type=decimal]
The Closed-loop could be set at a faster GPH without the refugium. And, moving the refugium to the sump cycle, as in the diagram.
I would prefer a slower turnover rate for the filtration cycle, around 600 GPH, as I see reefers having issues when the flow rate is above 600 GPH especially with foaming and bubbles in the return; and that's even with major baffling in the sump.
I am also curious whether passing the refugium through the protein skimmer before returning to show tank, would be advantages or counter productive? Or would the refugium benefit the main tank more connected to the closed loop system. The only concern is that the turn over rate might be faster connected in the closed loop system.
What would be some of the setup models/location/positioning for the returns and wave direction? As, I’ve seen systems that has the water flow/wave in one direction for a 12 hour period and switching directions for the next 12 hours.

For illustration purposes I only showed the drains & returns on one side of the tank. My drains are located on both (left/right) rear corners of the tank.
Thanks
Jerry
=====
How different our lives are when we really know what is deeply important to us, and keeping that picture in mind, we manage ourselves each day to be and to do what really matters most.
[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: JerryReef ]