Plumbing: teflon tape vs. thread putty

maze

Hi all,
I'm putting the plumbing together for my new 90g and want to know opinions you all may have regarding using teflon tape on PVC threads or using the teflon-based thread putty (non-hardening type).
Which have you used? It seems the putty would be better, but does it do a better/worse job of preventing leaks?
Thanks for the insight

dadummy

teflon tape is not a sealant, believe it or not it is a lubricant, same with the non-hardening putty's or pipe dope.
IME at home and in the field, on pvc , I prefer using teflon tape, it's easy to work with, easy to apply , does not get all over your hands or tools and does a nice neat job.
the key is having clean , tight fitting threads.
most leaks come from bad or dirty threads, fittings that will not make up tight, cross threading, or just not tightening the fittings enough.
I am not sure what oils if any are used in the teflon based non hardening material,I would not use that on my tank.
three good tight wraps with teflon on male threads in the direction so when tighting the fitting the tape will not unravel, on good clean threads, you have a winner, tighten that baby up hand tight then a few turns with a wrench and you are in business. also make sure the female threads are clean
pvc fittings have a starter thread. if you start to make your joint by turning the fitting counter-clockwise (lefty loosy) you will feel the fittings come together, then you can tighten them easily with out cross-threading.

dr. evil

Teflon tape and pipe dope are not lubricants they are sealants and prevent your pipes from leaking at the joints in ten years of fitting pipe i have never heard of it being used as a lubricant. but with that said you have a good point dadummy i would never use pipe dope on fish tank plumbing because when you make up the threads it will get on the inside of the pipe and you dont want that stuff in your tank i would stick with the teflon tape.

saltfan

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Teflon tape and pipe dope are not lubricants they are sealants and prevent your pipes from leaking at the joints in ten years of fitting pipe i have never heard of it being used as a lubricant. but with that said you have a good point dadummy i would never use pipe dope on fish tank plumbing because when you make up the threads it will get on the inside of the pipe and you dont want that stuff in your tank i would stick with the teflon tape.
I concur. Lubricant????
Use the teflon tape.

nytrillium

Yeah, the teflon tape and putty type teflon are partially intended to make it easier to tighten threaded fittings. it also fills in the small gaps in betwen the threads. I have used the putty type teflon stuff, and it is ok. It makes a huge mess though if you ever want to disassemble everything.... It doesnt come off worth crap. I tried rubbing alcohol, dish soap, 409, windex, and all that seemed to work is hot water and a tooth brush. I have no idea what would be a slovent for it. As for oils in it, who knows....
its supposed to be safe for humans so i would hope its safe for the fishies.... :happyfish