Pocillopora Help

reefsoe

:help:
Someone please verify the required light and current for this coral please. I got a large colony from my LFS and I bought it with all the polyps extended and fuzzy!
Now in my tank - it doesnt extend at all and im gettin white patches of skeleton in a few locations, today's params are perfect and all my other corals seems to be doing well.
I also purchased another coral ( from the same dealer ) , some type of clustered acro- and the colors are great I just dont have any polyp extension at all.. No skin loss either... This acro is about 4 inches away from a power head as close to my MH's as i can get it and still nothing....
Any Ideas for help please

Pocillopora are a low light SPS coral that like a medium current.
I have very successfully grown this coral under 150w of VHO in a medium current. I have had to frag a couple times in a years time.
What are your Ca and Alk levels . . . . of all my corals this is the second one to react to poor water quality (xenia being the first).

reefsoe

everything is in good health... but i have it under 800w of MH and VHo... ill move it to the bottom of the tank and see what happens

reefsoe

The acros came from the same lighting conditions... 500w of MH and 2 VHO actinics... so I put them more or less in the same place but still no polyp extension allthough the color is still nice an bright. this is strange to me since params are perfect
The other was moved onto the sandbed at the base of my rockwork and i see the polyps getting fuzzy allready... just that its too late
most of it has died off and i feel really bad.. i hope i can frag it and save most of the bases of each stalk.

once established and happy, they grow like weeds. And they spawn in the tank as well through polyp ejection. As long as it does not continue to decline it will make a complete recovery, and quickly at that.

reefsoe

good because where i placed it i see little fuzzy patches... thanks for the help

Any idea about the Acro?
:notsure:

S

spsaddict

Originally posted by ReefSOE
:help:
No skin loss either...
Any Ideas for help please

tissue narcrosis isnot good... kepp an eye on it and it if it gets worse you must frag it... and btw rtn can happen in a matter of hrs.... how did you acclimate it?
also got a pic of the acro. ill try n id it

reefsoe

I did my normal 2 hour acclimation I just had it too close to the light and burned it i have since placed it on the sand bed at the base of my rockwork and the recession has stopped and there are fuzzy patches along the branches.
The acro is odd... not branching but clustering.
Gemiphora<sp?> something was writtin on the tag at the LFS but it wasnt legible.

reefsoe

OK i got the ID Gemmifera... Now, its under 500w of 10k MH and 2 Super Actinic VHO's 110w ea. It is positioned about 2 inches from the water surface and the bulbs themselves are about 15 inches off the water. The colony is placed 2 - 3 inches from a Powerhead its the Hagen version its the 800 ( Orange Box ) So I Think its gettin enough flow but still no polyp extension.