pod help

kevtheiris

i think I have a few of these runnning around in my LR

after looking thru PAGES of hitchikers, those are the closest i have found to what is running around, only I cant remember if they had antenna or not :(
are they good/bad/problems?
If bad what can i do to help get rid of them. BTW they are small (> 1/4") and fast

perfectdark

Pods dont take long to produce I had pods reproducing in my tank @ about 2 months.. visually.. Im sure it was sooner I just didnt notice them. You can buy live Copepods and tigerpods and put them in your tank. Only issue is they are considered food to most of all your fish so unless they have a place to retreat too. It doesnt take but a couple of minutes for a few fish to devour a few hundred pods.
You can put some chaeto in your tank and try to place the pods in it. Most people make a refugeum and grow them in there where they can reproduce without getting consumed. Other wise they use the small crevises and holes in your LR to reproduce.

kevtheiris

Tank has been up since April, first fish was 2 Damsels in late May/Early June.
As of right now I have a 55gal w/ aprox 35-40# LR.
Livestock:
1 maroon clown
1 yellow bellied Damsel
1 blue Damsel
1 b.a. (big a$$- forgot what kind) snail
4 red/blue leg hermets
1 emerald crab
Bunch of cool looking hitchikers, including some kind of "fibre optic looking" feather duster?
oooo
and bonus, I just bought a 5# piece of LR yesterday and the LFS "missed" a mushroom :D so he's in there chillin right now ;) I'll try to get a pic of him today ;)
Just building my tank up to be a reef, wasnt really ready for the shroom, but I figured since he was there, I'll see how he does ;)

lawman

Food source for clowns?
Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Amphipod's you will see alot more in time. Harmless filter feeders and food source for some of your fish.

perfectdark

Well not on purpose... but yes if they catch em swiming around they will snatch them up.. I put tiger pods on my refuge and some immediatly blew into my DT and it was like the dinner bell rang.