"pod pile"

codylowe

Originally Posted by bimm3rb0y
could someone explain to me what a pod pile is and how do i build one or set up one?
It is basically a safe haven for pods that is created from live rock. Usually rubble stacked in a "pile" or it could be larger rocks stacked so that livestock cannot get in there and feed of the pods.

bimm3rb0y

so do i start it right in my 55 gallon tank in a corner somewhere? and what exactly do i need to start it? i dont fully understand...

renogaw

just pile up a bunch of rubble rock. a sure fire way of making sure nothing gets in is to use a strawberry container. put rock down, put the container over it, then more rock.

dreamer44

if you put lr rubble in the fuge area of the tank, and put the pods in there, will it work too? how bout brine shrimp...can you put those in the fuge also, and if so, when you need to put them in the main part of the tank, how would one do this??
I want to buy a bag of live brine shrimp to feed to my fish on occasion...how do you preserve them, if you only feed some of them to the fish? Or do you just dump the whole bag in the dt??
thanks for the info,
Lori

renogaw

unless you grow your own brine, it's a useless food. they are not nutritional after they use up their egg sack.
pods will grow and multiply anywhere they aren't preyed upon.

dreamer44

pods will grow and multiply anywhere they aren't preyed upon.
Ok, so If I ordered pods, and put them in the back of the tank, they will multiply, will some of them make their way to the front of the tank, so the fish can eat them, or will I have to manually move them from the back to the front....?
would it be better to just put the pods directly into the main part of the tank, and let them hide in the lr, so that the fish may have a chance to eat them...??
thanks,
Lori

bimm3rb0y

so how long would it take for these "pods" to grow and be ready to be fed upon? and as lori said, do they automatically come out of the "pile" or do i manually take it out? and how do they look like? <---just curious...

mikersof

Hey all,
I placed an order with SWF.com Friday. Part of that order was the 200 group of pods. I'm expecting a bag with maybe a cup of water. I know these guys are very small.
Never heard of the pod pile before. Very cool. I'll have to see about adding to both my 80 and 29 next big maintenance day.
My 80 has 270 # of live rock. My 29 had about 70#. My plan is to add about 1/4 of the pods to my 29 and the rest to my 80.
Question: Is the amount right? What should my expectations be?
To see what all is in my tanks, you can view http://www.jandt-online.com/a
Any advice would be well received!
james =)

fallinapart

Pods are usually sold in bottles and are dated (only good for a set amount of time) They are very hard to see, very tiny, even hard with a magnafing glass, But fish love them, and you provide a safe haven for them, "Pod Pile" or put them in your refugium (fuge). and the will multiply and some will swim around and your fish will eat them, but you will have no control over that. The more they multiply, the more they will swim out of saftey and out in the tank.
Good Luck with them, I have a bunch in my fuge and often they are sucked into the main tank for a dinner.
Norman