Pod Question

azonic

I was looking in my sump this evening with a flashlight(im missing a tiny clown goby...thought he may of taken a ride to the sump), and I took a look closeup of the peice of filter floss dividing the skimmer chamber and return chamber of my sump. The thing was absolutely covered in pods.
They all looked to be the same....just the common pods everyone posts about here...my question is this...
They seem to be multiplying at a good rate down there...is there anything I could add to the sump to help them multiply faster? Reason being, I want to add a mandarin to my reef but I really want to make sure he will have enough food before he goes in.
My tank now has 140 LBS of LR and has been established for going on 6 months. I planned on adding him around April or May...
Anyone have any experience with this? I've heard of making LR rubble piles in the tank but I want to keep these activities out of sight if possible. Thanks in advance

bang guy

I agree, you're all set.
To help pods multiply in your sump you need to add surface area. Porous rocks, nylon screen, stuff like that. You don't want any fine screen material that will trap larvae though.

azonic

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I agree, you're all set.
To help pods multiply in your sump you need to add surface area. Porous rocks, nylon screen, stuff like that. You don't want any fine screen material that will trap larvae though.

Would the rock have to be live rock? Or could base rock be used....
Also, I'm not sure if your familiar with the layout of the Lifereef sumps. In case your not, there are two compartments. One holds the skimmer and the water in from the tank....that section is seperated from the next chamber by a foam block...the second chamber has the return pump.
Which chamber would be the best to place the rocks? Or would it matter...

bang guy

I don't think it matters what chamber as long as they're connected. Most pods do NOT get caught in skimmers... Powerheads do beat them up though, where true water pumps do not.
It does not have to be live rock... just something porous that they can hide & reproduce in.