Pods?

svengal

Ok, I'm a foolish newbie. just thought I'd get that out of the way.
My tank is 6 weeks old, has cycled, and I recently purchased a Scooter Bleeny after enjoying the antics of my Lawnmower Blenny, assuming their diet's couldn't be too drastically different. Now all I hear is that the Scooters, like Mandarins (which I was very close to purchasing as well) only eat live brine shrimp and Pods?
What in the world are pods? Can I get a photo? Is "Scooter" going to starve without? I've only witnessed him sifting the sand and leftovers.

trainfever

Funny you should post this because I just recieved my shipment of pods. For lack of a better word, I guess you could say that pods are insects from the ocean. I know there are copepods and anthropods but I don't know one pod from another. I am in the same boat as you. I bought a Scooter blennie and for the first two days, he was all over my live rock looking for pods. I saw him eat maybe two brine shrimp. Someone on here gave me a link to a place where I could order the pods. I just finished the refugium in my sump, so hopefully the pods will breed in there and I will have a suppply of food for the Scooter. I would send you the link but that is not allowed on here. Email me if you want it.
trainfever@comcast.net

baondayko

You'd better purchase some, or your scooter blenny will starve to death. You could get lucky and get them to feed on food, but their food of choice are pods.

saltn00b

hey train, did you build the refuge from scratch? did you order it? what was the overhead? is it lit and is it your sump or is it over the tank? lol
sorry for all the Qs but im thinking about one meself!

trainfever

I built it from an old 20 gallon tank that I had. I built it into the last section of my sump. The only cost for the sump/refugium was the cost of the silicone and the sponge I use to stop the bubbles. I had the 1/4" plexiglass and the tank. Then there was the cost of the other hardware such as the tubing, plumbing pieces and the pump. It is lit. I did buy a light that would fit a
2 1/2 gallon tank. It fits perfectly across my 20 gallon tank.

farmboy

Very nice, Train. I sent you an Email for the pod place. BTW what is on the end of your drain line?
I would appreciate any help.

trainfever

My tank is drilled and has a 1" bulkhead installed. From there, the pool hose drains into the filter sock holder which hangs on the left end of the tank/sump. My protein skimmer is in that section. Thats the section on the far left. From there the water travels over a 6" high baffle which stops most bubbles. The next baffle is also 6" but it starts 2" from the bottom(this is the section where my heater is). This forces the water to travel underneath the baffle. Since bubbles float, they float to the top before continuing into the final section which has a 2"think sponge that the watr passes through and catches any final bubbles which may get forced under the previous baffle by water pressure(none have made it that far as of yet). The last section on the right is where my refugium is. My pump was in the last section alone but I had one of those breeder nets not being used, so I put the pump inside there and it acts as a prefilter keeping all the pods and algae from getting sucked into my pump. My pump by the way is a Mag drive 5.

trainfever

I just did a search for pods on Yahoo and the first link that came up was www.saltwaterfish.com which is weird because they don't have any pods listed on their site. If they did, I would have bought the pods from them.

farmboy

Thanks for the run down on the fuge/sump setup. Also, the address was helpful. Sometimes it is hard to find what your looking for on the net because there is so MUCH info.

trainfever

I tried posting more pics of it all day today but the site is having problems. I took some close up shots of each section so you can see how it was built. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a better chance.