pods

E

eric b 125

i have a mandarin and i want to make sure it has enough to eat. i'm adding a sump/fuge to my system in the next month, but for now i have one of those aqua-clear hob style things. i took out all of the filter media and packed it with LR rubble. i tried arctipods before, but i knew right off the bat that they were not what i wanted. tonight i dumped in a bottle of the tigger pods. are these the right pods?

F

flukes

Yes tiger pods are what you want to add to your tank, you was right about the arctipods they are a cool water pod that will not live long in our tanks.

twood

Eric,
You may want to consider training your mandarin to eat frozen food. The reason is that mandarins consume huge numbers of pods. Most of what I have read on keeping mandarins suggests that you have at least 100 lbs. of live rock in a tank that has been established for at least one year. This is to allow the pod population to grow large enough to support the mandarin.
Now, there are many that train their mandarins to eat frozen food and even pellets. I am currently in the process of trying this with my mandarin. If you can accomplish this, your mandarin will have a much better chance of surviving in your aquarium.
Here is the method I am following:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/364424/green-man-dragon-gobi#post_3121985

flower

Originally Posted by twood http:///forum/post/3170326
Eric,
You may want to consider training your mandarin to eat frozen food. The reason is that mandarins consume huge numbers of pods. Most of what I have read on keeping mandarins suggests that you have at least 100 lbs. of live rock in a tank that has been established for at least one year. This is to allow the pod population to grow large enough to support the mandarin.
Now, there are many that train their mandarins to eat frozen food and even pellets. I am currently in the process of trying this with my mandarin. If you can accomplish this, your mandarin will have a much better chance of surviving in your aquarium.
Here is the method I am following:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/364424/green-man-dragon-gobi#post_3121985
+1...

jackri

Frozen mysis is your best bet with frozen foods for a mandarin. Just keep trying -- may take awhile or may never happen.

deon nyc

i use the pods sold on this web site with in 2-3 weeks u can see them all ove the tank and i re seed ever other month.

E

eric b 125

thanks for the replies. i have over 100 lbs of LR in a tank that has been established for about a year. like i said, i'm adding a fuge to the system in a matter of weeks, so for the time being i'm using the aqua clear for a safe place for the pods to reproduce. i've heard about teaching mandarins to eat frozen, and mine will occasionally eat mysis, but i'm not a huge advocate of it. i would rather have to buy pods. but once my system is drilled and plumbed, i will rarely, if ever, have to buy them.