Poll:What is the best filter

reefnut

You need one more option... I'd vote for both Natural & Artificial... running a refuge & skimmer and the occasional chemical & mechanical filtration.

jer4916

i have an ecosystem filter,...100% natural...perfect levels, perfect water quality...extremely heathly fish/corals...
why fix what nature already developed over time?

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by ReefNut
You need one more option... I'd vote for both Natural & Artificial... running a refuge & skimmer and the occasional chemical & mechanical filtration.
I'd say the above quote parellels my thinking as well.

nm reef

I try to use a natural filtration...primarily the LR & LS...I also run a skimmer and a rather large refugium...and a couple of mechanical filters with carbon and/or rowa phos. So in my situation I'd also have to selewct both of your poll options.
Wizardry Reefkeeping

buzzword

I have a 35g fuge and 150+lbs LR, skimmer, and think natural is the way to go. Although I do run carbon in my sump at times so both may be what I would pick as well.

druluv

Natural approach is a good way to go, but it hard to neglect Artificial (Biological,Chemical,Mechanical etc.) way too.

jmick

I’d have to say a combination of the two. I have a 30gal refugium on my 55 along with 100+lbs of live rock and a deep sand bed. I also run a little penguin with activated charcoal and a Aqua-C Pro. I haven’t lost anything in well over a year and the diversity the refugium adds is awesome (I actually spend more time looking into it then into my display tank).

lennon

Originally Posted by Jer4916
i have an ecosystem filter,...100% natural...perfect levels, perfect water quality...extremely heathly fish/corals...
why fix what nature already developed over time?
Which filter do you have? Was it expensive?
what is the difference with a refugium and eco??
thanks much!!

jer4916

ecosystem, is similar to a refigum, but mine has miracle mud in it...but its the same concept....

lennon

ecosystem, is similar to a refigum, but mine has miracle mud in it...but its the same concept....

so either is good? Is one better or can I just put the miracle mud in the refugium too? thanks

jer4916

depends on who you ask, i wouldn't trade my ecosystem for anything....if i had to chooose between buying one again and not,i would....i could make one...but i'd rather just pay the money and not have to worry about it....so for me the $1000 was worth it.
~chris

lennon

depends on who you ask, i wouldn't trade my ecosystem for anything....if i had to chooose between buying one again and not,i would....i could make one...but i'd rather just pay the money and not have to worry about it....so for me the $1000 was worth it.
~chris

Thanks Jer...I guess maybe i will do the refugium since it will not be so costly and is very similar..
wish me luck!!