pool/spa water pump use in reef tank ??

drtito

Its bin awhile since i've posted, but normal tank upkeep ,women, and work has bin keeping me very busy. ;)
My question ....I found a new " DURAFLO " // "GruberHydro" ( listed for pool/spa use ) water pump can i use it in my reef tank. ??
Model # 001438
H.P. 3/4
1 1/2 inch ports.
The impeller, impeller case are plastic
shaft covered in rubber into the plaxtic case.
My plan use it in a long PVC spary bar along the back end of the tank.
Can I use this pump ??

mr. limpid

It sound no different then any pump for salt water tanks. The only thing I'm questioning is the spray bar, sound like this would cause a lot of salt spray mess. I would just pump it directly into the tank and add power heads for more water movement.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/389453/pool-spa-water-pump-use-in-reef-tank#post_3442093
It sound no different then any pump for salt water tanks. The only thing I'm questioning is the spray bar, sound like this would cause a lot of salt spray mess. I would just pump it directly into the tank and add power heads for more water movement.
I'll assume the spray bar will be submerged to eliminate any "mess".
I would review the specs to ensure no metal is exposed to the water.

drtito

Thank you Bang Guy & Mr.Limpid
The PVC pipe will have to be under water to get the extra movement i'm after in the tank with pumps i already have . I just need more flow all around :)
I think a 1/4 hole hole every 2 inches should work on the spray bar with most of the holes facing forward.
-
I checked for "metal to water" contact inside the impeller housing , none .
My concern with the pump now is " GROUNDING " it comes with a 3 prong connector but comes with a------------------------- warning ------------------
GROUNDING - failure to connect the motor frame to equipment grounding conductor by using the grounging cord, green skrew or o green wire provided, may result in serious eletrical shock.
Would this be the same as a "grounding probe" just ground it ??

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTITO http:///t/389453/pool-spa-water-pump-use-in-reef-tank#post_3442118
Thank you Bang Guy & Mr.Limpid
The PVC pipe will have to be under water to get the extra movement i'm after in the tank with pumps i already have . I just need more flow all around :)
I think a 1/4 hole hole every 2 inches should work on the spray bar with most of the holes facing forward.
-
I checked for "metal to water" contact inside the impeller housing , none .
My concern with the pump now is " GROUNDING " it comes with a 3 prong connector but comes with a------------------------- warning ------------------
GROUNDING - failure to connect the motor frame to equipment grounding conductor by using the grounging cord, green skrew or o green wire provided, may result in serious eletrical shock.
Would this be the same as a "grounding probe" just ground it ??
They're saying that you should hook up the 3 prong connector normally, but it's a good idea to ground the pump frame as well. There should be a green screw somewhere on the exterior of the pump body. You don't need to hook it up in order to run it. It's more for your personal protection in case if there's an electrical malfunction with the pump. It then becomes possible depending on the situation that the frame can become charged. Then you go to put your hand on the pump one day not knowing anything is wrong and....WHAMMO! Another BBQ'd reef hobbyist.

al&burke

A spray bar would work fine as long as it is submerged as Bang Guy said, I have a nifty formula for determining the number of holes on a spray bar, I make my own for all my tanks and they work great. Let me know what the flow is and I can figure out how many holes and at what spacing to drill them. I have a saltwater pool and I think there is no metal exposed on our pump - just find out if they are saltwater compatable.

acrylic51

I'd check more on the composition of the seals of the pump. Call the manufacturer to double check.... No pump was theoretically designed for our uses..,, we just tailor them to our needs....

2quills

Couldnt hurt to email the manufacturer. Im sure the pump housing as with most is probably ABS. Chlorine is highly corosive as well.

bang guy

I thought saltwater pools are actually clorinated, they just use electrolysis to seperate the chlorine from the salt.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389453/pool-spa-water-pump-use-in-reef-tank#post_3442618
I thought saltwater pools are actually clorinated, they just use electrolysis to seperate the chlorine from the salt.
True, but it does not have the same levels of chlorine as the more traditional chlorinated pool. It is much softer on the skin, blondes don't get the chlorine green hair from spending the summer in the pool, and the water doesn't sting your eyes as much as chlorine does.