Popeye?

jconly

Purchased a powder blue a few days ago and noticed within 2 days that the specimen shows signs of popeye in one eye. No abrasion marks or scratches noticed. All water parameters test well. Nitrate-0 Nitrite-0 Amonia-0 Ph good and phosephate good. RO/DI water and protein skimmer. Tank is FOWLR and has been set up for about 1.5 years with no new additions, aside from snails and hermits, for about 8 months. All advice very well appreciated.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest a large water change in your tank...no substrate cleaning or tank cleaning, just the water change. Soak you're fish food in garlic for at least 1 hr in the fridge. Over a varied diet, but be sure to give the tank a good deal of vegetable food [ie: seaweed selects].
Hopefully the problem is minior and will self-heal with a little push start employing my suggestions, if not, the fish will need to go into a hospital tank for treatment with antibiotics.

jconly

HNF2K....to answer your question....I'm an airline pilot who lives in Texas and I'm based in NY. Thus the commute. As far as location I'm based in upstate NY where it snows way too much and is much much too cold for this puny Texas boy.