porckupine puffer

P

puffer97

my lfs said that you can put a pork in an 55 for life is it true

junco

Originally Posted by slackjawed
http:///forum/post/2748315
mabey how big is he now?if he small would work short term .mabey a year or so
I would have to agree. These suckers fully grown are known to be 11+ inches.

leopard_babe

I had a 2-3 inch p. puffer in my 46 bow as a qt while I cycled a 180 aggressive. He ate like a pig and grew VERY fast. After about a year he was about 5-6 inches and with my other fish and rock he hade my 180 look small. I ended selling him due to size and appetite
. I guess you could do it for awhile. But I would not recommend it. There are other puffer that have fun personalities like the p.puffer. They also dont get as big. I would check those out.
hope that helps.

srfisher17

I've seen porkys that are close to 18". I really don't like the idea of keeping a fish "until it gets too big". I don't get as emotionaly attached to my fish as many folks do; but these guys are really personable and it will be difficult to let him go when the time comes. I really can't show proof, but I've always felt that large fish don't do very well in small tanks; even when the fish is still small. this fact has been shown in FW, but not SW---as far as i know.

unleashed

Toledo zoo has a porc puffer that is over 3 ft long his head is well over a ft in diam..it alone wouldn't fit into a 55 gal without water..I'd dare to say you lfs is just trying to make a sale. not considering the long term care of this particular species it needs for a long full life even in a tank.contrary to popular belief this fish gets huge.ppl need to be aware if this before purchasing one

R

rcreations

The thing with a lot of LFS is that they actually know what they're talking about. Meaning they're trying to sell you a fish, even if it means putting a shark in a 10 gal tank. First you get to buy their fish, then when it dies, you'll get to buy another fish, PLUS upgrade to a bigger tank this time. These places make money off dying fish. After all, if they gave great advice and all the fish lived a long happy life, they'd go out of business. Nobody would need to buy new fish.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2754337
The thing with a lot of LFS is that they actually know what they're talking about. Meaning they're trying to sell you a fish, even if it means putting a shark in a 10 gal tank. First you get to buy their fish, then when it dies, you'll get to buy another fish, PLUS upgrade to a bigger tank this time. These places make money off dying fish. After all, if they gave great advice and all the fish lived a long happy life, they'd go out of business. Nobody would need to buy new fish.
I'm afraid I agree, its sad. I remember when the lfs was run by a knowledgeable, dedicated hobbiest. Now, they have to compete with the online dealers with much better prices on both livestock & accessories, plus the Petcos, etc. I wouldn't want to be in that business unless I was independently wealthy and just wanted to hang around & help fellow hobbiests.