porcupine puffer tankmates

pluchinsky

i'm deciding what to put in my new tank & i've decided that i absolutely must have a porcupine puffer. i know they do well in an aggressive setup. I've ,also, read a customer comment on them, saying they were great with their non-aggressive tankmates. However, a species profile i read said that though they're generally peaceful with tankmates, they can sometimes get aggressive & nip the other fish. i want to hear from people that have a porcupine what they recommend.

scubadoo

I had one many years ago and it was non-agressive. It was getting bigger so it eventually west to my friends 240. Each fish has his/her own disposition so you can never be sure.
I find triggers and porc's to be agressive eaters. They can cause harm to each other and it can be unintentional. My Niger injured my Sohal once when feeding.

L

lions den

I have had puffers for the last few years and I have not found/ seen many tank mates that it does not get along with other than inverts and whatever smaller type of fish it can get its mouth around. I have had them housed with Triggers, Angels, Eels, and Tangs though you need to have a good filtration system as they are messy eaters. Just keep them fed well and your water clean and I would think you would be OK.

tiggerguy

I have a porcupine puffer in with 1 percula 2 green chromis 1 manderin, some other small goby 1 domino damsel and 1 serpent star.. ohh also crabs and snail galore
only thing he picks on.. well rather eats is my snail.. other than that he does not pick on anything and actualy hangs out with the green chromis..
very social fish that is for shure.. i got mine when i was maybe 2 inches so he was to small to eat the other fish he was in with.. but i could see if you go a large one with small fish were there would be a problem..