Porcupine Puffer vs Perc. Clown??? compatible or no

ccg24

Ok... I am leaning towards no on my own question... but I was hoping that someone would tell me I'm wrong... and I can... lol... anyway, I would like to put a porcupine puffer in w/ my 2 clowns the tank has been set up for about 6 mos w/ 2 clowns and a choc. chip star... it's a FO tank... I want someone to tell me they'll work... but I know the puffers are a lil aggresive but... I really want him.... oh! and its a 50 gal. tank... so it's a lil small.... :( ok.... gimme your oppinions please

boozzbro

well not tp be a prick or anything but if you have a chocolate chip star in the tank its not a FO tank.
Anyway on to your question. You tank is on the small side which woudl casue your puffers aggression to increase do to the hightened stress levels. However. i have my puffer in with 2 Clarkii clowns and havent seen a problem. Colwns are much fsaster than the puffer so with enough room they wil be able to out run the puffer. i would say you would be fine but just watch it. Pufferes are fin nippers. you woudl see a nice circle in the fins of your clowns. At that point you woudl have to take one of them out either the clows or the puffer it just depends on which one you like more. The puffer shoudl leave teh starfish alone though. I had a red general in my tank (same family as a chocolate chip) and i had no problems until my Racoon Butterfly got after him and i had to get rid of the star.

chickadee

well, this question is easily solved since the porky should be in a 75g MINIMUM or more, i would say no. And they're not invert compatible. This isn't true for EVERY puffer, though. There is ALWAYS and exception to every rule. Also, because your tank is so small, and the puffer gets rather large, the puffer's territory is going to be much bigger, and therefore, it will act more aggressively toward other fish. It's territory may very well take up a good portion of your tank, so IMO, it's not a good idea. Sorry to be a bubble buster, but there are plenty of other awesome fish for your scenario.
here's some info:
Minimum Tank Size: 90 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1' 6"
Color Form: Black, Gray, Tan
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: No
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Diodontidae
The Porcupine Puffer is also known as the Porcupinefish or Porcupine Pufferfish. It has spiny appendages which cover most of its body, which may vary from light gray to mottled tans, sometimes with dark spots. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure. The Porcupine Puffer lacks pelvic fins but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about.
A 90 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium with a good protein skimmer is a suitable home. It may be aggressive at times, nipping the fins of tank mates and leaving a circular hole as its mark. It will eat invertebrates found in a reef aquarium. It has the ability, when threatened or scared, to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size. Parts of its flesh are poisonous if digested.
The Porcupine Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.
hope this helps!!!