Porcupine Puffer

roguecardinal

I really dig my porcupine puffer, but I am not sure if he is eating well, has anyone found anything that he really likes. Also I have had him for about a month and I have only seen him puff up twice. I have probably missed him puff up a couple of times, just curious if anyone knows how often he will puff up or why he does besides being threatened. It is truly a sight though to see him puffed up.

peasly1

puffers love krill and meaty foods...you really dont want your puff to blow up its a sign of threat or distress although it might look "cool" how big is it and what else is in the tank..how is your water readings

roguecardinal

The puffer is 3-4" and about the size of a baseball when puffed up, the other fish in the tank are a volitan lion, picasso trigger, 2 cleaner wrasse, foxface, tomato, yellow tang, sailfin blenny and a blue devil. The first time I saw him puffed up it looked like the wrasse were bothering him, no one seems to bother him so that may be why I have only seen him puff up a couple of times. The water quality is good.

since you described your puffer as being stressed thats probably a reason he is not eating well. what ever is bothering him take it out. you have a choice between the pufffer or whatever is bothering him.
[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: TRIGAHAPPYNIGERog ]

jess

I find my porcupine really loves SQIUD and believe it or not, PEAS. When I drop PEAS in the tank he swims over like he hasn't eaten in weeks to eat them. :cool:
[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Jess ]

goofieones

I agree, when those fish get bigger you might have real problems. Make sure the trigger isn't picking on the puff, usually triggers will pick at their fins. If the puff is being picked on he won't be to interested in eating.

big dave

Geez, don't your fish run into each other constantly?!?!??!?! Get a bigger tank!! All those fish might be happy in a 250!!!! Or, get trade in most of them!!!!!

porkypuffer

PORC PUFFER, TRIGGER AND CLEANER WRASSE IN THE SAME TANK. I AWAYS THOUGHT A CLEANER WRASSE WOULD BE A SNACK FOR THE PUFFER AND TRIGGER. DOES HE GET PICKED ON OR CHASED?

roguecardinal

None of the fish pick on each other and they are all small right now so the tank really doesnt appear crowded, but we are thinking that we should probably get rid of the lion, the trigger and puffer are our favorite.