Porcupine Toby?

zeromus-x

Went to the LFS with my girlfriend last night; "Porcupine Puffers" were on sale. A whole tank of them. Tiny (all about 1" - 2" at the most). I've got a few corals but I'll be moving them to another tank, and they're all ones that have survived the Hawaiian Puffer test (a few leathers and mushrooms), so I figured it'd be worth a shot. Problem is, I know Porcs get really freakin' big. I asked the person working the saltwater tanks and he said these were tobies, not regular porcs.
A Google search for "Porcupine Toby" does indeed bring up a couple references to them, but aside from that I've never heard of one. Is the guy full of crap? If he is, how quick do they grow? He's only about an inch long right now, and I've got a 75g I can move him to when it becomes a bigger issue, but if he's gonna grow a foot in 6 months or something, I've got to get rid of him ASAP.

jon321

How much did they cost? if they are relatively cheap, they are the regular puffers and will get huge! if they are an arm, leg, and first born, they may be some rare toby. Porcupine puffers as small as 1-2" are very common but will literally double every 3 months for the next 50 million years
mine grew from 1-2" to around 7-8" in a year, but kind of stopped at that in a 75g tank.
Jon

lion_crazz

He is definitely going to grow too large for a 75. I got my puffer a year and a half ago at about an inch and put him in my 75. Now he is 10" and swimming happily in my 210. Though he is not a porcupine, a puffer is a puffer and he is going to grow large quickly

lion_crazz

I would be very curious to see a pic of this puffer though, if it is indeed a regular or some weird sort of porcupine toby. I have never even heard of them before.