porkupine puffer questions

just a nano

is it common for a porkupine puffer to sometimes rest on the bottom or in a cave?
Also is freeze dried krill acceptable to feed them?

ophiura

Yes and Yes, though that diet is not diverse enough as primary diet and it will be problematic. Don't feed them dry krill - be sure you soak for awhile, ideally using some liquid additives (like selcon) to boost the nutritional value. But overall you will need to feed them some hard shell (eg shell on) shrimp, as well as mussels, clams, etc. I would even keep some snails in the tank for him to enjoy. Overgrowth of teeth can be an issue for such puffers so they need their natural hard diet to help.

kjr_trig

Agree with what Susan said, for some reason Porky Puffers get hooked on freeze dried krill when they first arrive in captivity, mine was the same. This is not very nutricious and feeding a diet of only freeze dried krill often leads to Lock-jaw and shortly after, a dead Puffer.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3281928
for some reason Porky Puffers get hooked on freeze dried krill when they first arrive in captivity, mine was the same. This is not very nutricious and feeding a diet of only freeze dried krill often leads to Lock-jaw and shortly after, a dead Puffer.
For this reason, I would really recommend to just avoid feeding krill all together. Often times they become dependent on krill, and the owner usually caves to just feeding krill, as that's the only thing they will eat. With the plethora of healthy frozen foods available, it's a no-brainer....