Port jackson

maurwyck

:notsure: I plan on getting a large tank so that I can get a Port Jackson. I just don't know what I would be able to put in with it since it'll eat most anything and don't know if it would be worth it to have a one fish tank. Some advise please.

mike22cha

I don't know about Port Jacksons but do you own a book called Aquarium Sharks and Rays by Scott W. Michael? That may help and I believe there is a section that talks about pottential tankmates.

psusocr1

well first off your tank need to be over 1000 gallons, thats for a pup since they do get over 5 feet.. second you would need a chiller because the port jackson requires pretty low temperatures to strive. They also say acclimation can take several weeks of the shark to get comfortable which also means feeding will take along time
i wouldnt conssider this species a begginer shark or ane asy shark to take care of (although they are hardy)

krj-1168

The Horn Shark(H. francisci) is a better choice for a beginner shark, than Port Jackson's - since they are more tolerate of warmer temps (65-80F), vs. (58-75F). Horns are also a smaller species - max out under 4', and averaging about 3'. Horns are also faster grower than Port Jackson's - growing about 6" per year as juveniles, verses only about 2-3" per yr for juvenile Port Jackson's.
Port Jackson's take up to 20 years to reach their maximum adult size of about 4.5-5'. And need about 8-12 yrs to reach sexual maturity of about 30". While Port Jackson's can be kept in smaller tank as juveniles, they will eventually require a tank of at least 1,000 gallons.

whitetip*09

Are we talking tank or pond? if you did a pond you could have the right sized footprint and lower the height to keep the gallonage down.

ams153

IMO unless youve got a lot of money to spend and a lot of experience dont even consider getting a port jackson