Possible Aggressive Tank Build.....Need advice

luvmyreef

Hey Guys, I was thinking about turning my old 75g that I have into an aggressive tank for the hubby. He really likes puffers, lions, etc. It is not drilled, and since we know nothing about how to drill it, I am turning to you all. I know that I need a sump because you really can't have your normal cuc. So, should we have it drilled or use an overflow? I will probably set this tank up in the basement, so no worries about leaks for me LOL.
And if you say we should have it drilled, my other question would be whether or not it's ok to drill this one since its about 7years old and had previously been setting dry for about a year? Oh yeah, just to mention, I know nothing about sumps, etc.
LOL. Thanks!

al&burke

Not a problem to drill a seven year old tank. I have a real good write up on drilling tanks I don't have it on this computer but I will send it to you tomorrow.

luvmyreef

Thanks Al. So, you think that it would be better to drill it rather than use an overflow box? I think so, but wondering if we should do it, or find someone who will do it for us. LOL. Any info would be great. I think that this would be a good winter project.

al&burke

Before I ever drilled my first tank I was terrified, if you are handy you won't have a problem, I built a jig to help guide the diamond hole saw and to hold water to cool the cutter. Honestly it is easier than cutting a hole in plywood with a hole saw. If you have the chance to drill your tank you won't be sorry - almost nothing can go wrong with a drilled tank, almost????

acrylic51

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Al post a pic of your tool/jig to hold water to cool the bit please!!!!!!!

2quills

Should be pretty easy to drill a 75g. The small tanks with the thin glass are the ones to worry about. Thicker glass is pretty robust and no where as easy to crack. There's also plenty of videos on the web that you can google...just search for drilling a glass aquarium/tank. You'll find all kinds of hits and see that it's rather simple. Just take your time and go slow.
Is the tank empty? Can you verify if there is a sticker on the bottom to indicate which if any panels might be tempered? Typically it's only the bottom of the tank that's tempered.

luvmyreef

Don't worry acrylic, this thread can be open to anyone who wants to post in it. And Corey, only the bottom of this tank is tempered. I would really appreciate how to's from you guys who have done it. But remember, I need specifics. Like what kind of drill, etc. I should be able to get what I need from my brother in law, just need the list lol.

luvmyreef

Thanks guys! My next question would be: Where would you drill the holes? Is there a certain spot that is better?? Remember, I know nothing when it comes to this. LOL.

al&burke

In the garage LOL _ I guess you have to decide where you want your overflow - I have a 65 gallon reef that is 36 inches wide - I have it right in the middle. If you are going to buy an overflow box you should get that first so you know at what height to drill the hole in the back. What are the dimensions of your tank - I will put a quick drawing together for you to help you decide and see what the others think. Also have you decided on a sump yet - a 20 gallon long of 30 gallon I think would be perfect. I have some drawn up already if you like.

luvmyreef

Hahahahah, in the garage LOL. The tank is your standard aga 75g which is 48x18x20 if I remember correctly.

2quills

I agree with everything that Al just said. I don't know if you know another member here (Scott) but he just drilled his 75g tank using that same overflow that I posted. He put it right in the center on the back of the tank. I would do the same if it were me.

acrylic51

So Al you built your jig out of acrylic so it holds water??? Do you think that would work as well if you drill from below????

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/388442/possible-aggressive-tank-build-need-advice#post_3425803
So Al you built your jig out of acrylic so it holds water??? Do you think that would work as well if you drill from below????
It is basically an acrylic box with a hole the size of your diamond hole saw, just slightly bigger so it doesn't bind. Shawn all the tanks I have drilled have been with the tank on its side and drilling from the inside of the tank, I always made sure I had plywood up against the glass. You were thinking of drilling the bottom of a tank from underneath the tank?

acrylic51

Al....You know I'll usually tackle anything, but been stumped on making a damn to drill the eurobracing on the new tank.....Corey and I talked a little about ideas with using plumbers putty, and you threw that up there......The issue is with the tank on the stand, the wall/canopy actually interfere with me from drilling from the top of the eurobracing, which means either move the tank again, which is a chore, because of the styrofoam under the tank, or drill it from the bottom off the eurobracing up......I want to keep a "pool" of water above the area I'm drilling and drill from underneath the bracing.....It takes a good bit to go through the 1" acrylic though........
I figure I don't want to use the electric drill for these 2 holes since the water will be draining downward onto the drill....So either going to use the battery powered drill or my buddy suggested dragging the air line into the house and using the air drill to do it.....I'll have to put a regulator on the air drill to dial it down a bit though......Just don't wanna be electrocuted before I get the tank running......

acrylic51

By the way luvmyreef, if your going to drill 1" holes I have a diamond hole saw bit sitting in the garage I bought for whatever reason and never used it......Let me know!!!!!