Possible black ich?

psibabi21

Hi i currently dont have my own name on here yet just using my Gfs name.
I have a 55 galon fish only tank, aqua clear 75 w/ built in skimmer and rio 1700 and a rio 600 for power head and a Uv twist sterelizer 9 watt.
Water checks out ok 0 on all salinity is at 1.026 temp at around 77
I had normal ich once about 4-5 years ago and since havent had problems and i treated the tank with cure ich i believe, small bottle turned everything blue. Lost a few fish.Since then i changed displays and upgraded to new pumps sterilizer. Ok problem,Just noticed small black spots on my yellow tang the other day. All fish eat great and are active. Soak food in garlic 3-4 times a week. Now today i think i see a few spots on my foxface. I have read numerous threads on here about black ich. I have no QT yet but am debatting setting one up. Some LFS say freshwater dip for 3 mins or so, which im hesitant on. I couldnt find Formalin at the pet shop so that is out of the question for now. Dont want to put copper in my tank incase i want to expand later to coral.
Any suggestions? Im still unsure after reading many threads on how black ich starts.
All help is appreciated, thanks. Joe

sepulatian

Originally Posted by PSIBabi21
Hi i currently dont have my own name on here yet just using my Gfs name.
I have a 55 galon fish only tank, aqua clear 75 w/ built in skimmer and rio 1700 and a rio 600 for power head and a Uv twist sterelizer 9 watt.
Water checks out ok 0 on all salinity is at 1.026 temp at around 77
I had normal ich once about 4-5 years ago and since havent had problems and i treated the tank with cure ich i believe, small bottle turned everything blue. Lost a few fish.Since then i changed displays and upgraded to new pumps sterilizer. Ok problem,Just noticed small black spots on my yellow tang the other day. All fish eat great and are active. Soak food in garlic 3-4 times a week. Now today i think i see a few spots on my foxface. I have read numerous threads on here about black ich. I have no QT yet but am debatting setting one up. Some LFS say freshwater dip for 3 mins or so, which im hesitant on. I couldnt find Formalin at the pet shop so that is out of the question for now. Dont want to put copper in my tank incase i want to expand later to coral.
Any suggestions? Im still unsure after reading many threads on how black ich starts.
All help is appreciated, thanks. Joe
Do not do the FW dips. They will do absolutely nothing for black ich. Formalin baths are the way to clear it. Here are the directions.
In a separate dedicated container fill with water from your display. Use a 37% formaldehyde solution [brand name Formalin which is sold in the hobby] at 20 drops for each gal of water. Be sure to aerate the bathe water using an airstone that is deadicated to formalin bathes. Place infected fish in the bathe for 45 minutes, every other day, 3-5 treatments.
Warning: This is a toxic medication so don't overdose. When finished with the bath, safely disgard the bath water. Do not use the same water for subsequest treatments. Take care not to have contact with the formalin.

psibabi21

Ok i guess i will have to try and find some around here. But after the fish is rid of the black ich will it stay in the tank or come back after a period of time?
Do you know what may have caused this? Thanks again

psibabi21

Is it possible to control it or eliminate the black ich with water changes often and feeding the fish food to bring up their immune system?