Possible ich ???

one-fish

Noticed this afternoon (wasn't there this morning when fed) a white spot just above the eye on a black mollie (starter fish) which has been in the tank for over a month Have two clowns that have been in the tank about 2 weeks All eating and behaving normally. None are showing any signs of ich as researched online. No white spots on clowns just the one on the mollie. Trying to remove the mollie to a make-shift QT, but that easier said than done. Question Is.. If I see one spot on a fish and it is ich am I already doom to treat the whole tank, getting this fish out I can see I am going to stress everything plus make a mess. Going to continue trying to catch this fish and place it in QT so it can be observed better. Thx.....

lmforbis

If the mollie has ich a t likely came in on the other fish. Since mollies are fresh water, unless you fit it from a salt system, it wouldn't have come in with a saltwater parasite. You would need to treat all the fish in a QT tank and leave the display empty of fish for 72 days for the parasites to die off.

florida joe

First lets not jump the gun. What type of tank are you running ? Do you have sand as substrate? As far as Ick goes not every parasite that causes a white spot on a fish is Ick. Only identification under microscope can definitely identify if the ick parasite is present.

one-fish

Probably right about where it came from and yes I did acclimate the fish from fresh water. So if it is ich when should I see more spots and other symptoms just did notice this hours ago. Do see now that I need to prepare myself better. Thinking this fish goes stay in the rocks most of the time always pecking on them. Maybe just maybe it bumped up onto a sharp edge..... just maybe......Going to keep an eye on him and take actions if and when needed. Thx Imforbis you guys have been a big help...

lmforbis

Keep an eye on it. If it is ich it will get worse. But keep in mind the spots come and go in a cyclic fashion so it may disappear then a few days later more spots. It may be nothing and you never see anything else. It is always recommended that you QT your fish for 30 days before you introduce them to your display tank.

one-fish

Fish only tank.. just finished a never ending cycling month a half ago. Added the mollie to test the waters sorta speak...then 3 weeks later the clowns. 55 gal DT w/20gal sump 45lbs or so Dry and LR and yes a DSB. Thx.. Joe

one-fish

Yes I know to QT them for 2-3 weeks but looked at the clowns as the first fish and decided to use the DT as a QT. Trust me going to get better and follow the rules. Going to set-up a 10 gal QT prior to adding livestock. Thx again...Live and Learn..

one-fish

Not seeing the white spot on the mollie this morning, both clowns normal. Happy but now dazed and confused of whats to come ...Will it come back ...What was it or what is it .....Guess I'll work and plan ahead for the worse and hope for the best. Thx again...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It may be lymphocystis. At this point, if it's ich, then all you fish will need treatment. Wait and see how it develops, keeping a close eye out at least a couple of times a day. I'd suggest looking at your fish with a mag. glass so you can quickly pick up on any problem they have.

Quarantining your fish before they go into your display is best practice and returns the joy of getting new fish since you know your tank won't be contaminated if one new fish gets sick.

one-fish

Happy to report no signs of ich thus far. After my research my Take is... That no signs might be a false sense of security, Read where it may lay dormant only to strike on a stressed fish or some say no it can only survive from a host fish. All say treat your tank , fish/inverts (don't have corals) to be safe...and I Agree...My thoughts my Tank..Think I misdiagnosed ich, but ready for an outbreak can QT all now if needed..I must have looked at 100 pics of fish with ich,...just didn't look the same all had multiple spots not just one....Fingers Crossed..

lmforbis

That is certainly possible but since you have a mollie that started as a fresh water fish, I would expect it would likely be hit pretty hard by a disease that it would have no natural or acquired immunity to.

one-fish

Yes my inital thoughts How do i post a freshwater mollie caught ich in saltwater. My after thoughts and observations think I misdiagnosed ich..? Thx.. if not ready to QT ...

lmforbis

Any fish living in saltwater would be susceptible to saltwater ich or any other saltwater disease if it is present in the water, they just wouldn't have any ability to fight it if off. Kind of like the diseases brought into the americas by early European explorers.

florida joe

Any fish living in saltwater would be susceptible to saltwater ich or any other saltwater disease if it is present in the water, they just wouldn't have any ability to fight it if off. Kind of like the diseases brought into the americas by early European explorers.
can you explain the not having any ability to fight it off statement

lmforbis

THe ability to fight off disease is acquired. Antibodies are made in response to an exposure to the immunogen. We aren't necessarily born with the ability to fight off disease it is acquired initially from the mother then we develop our own immunity. Additionally natural selection would encourage the animals that have a better ability to fight off native pathogens to breed and their offspring would be more likely to carry on that ability.
Theoretically any live caught fish has been exposed to any number of parasites or pathogens with in its own environment.
A fresh water fish as well as its ancestors will never have been exposed to saltwater parisites or pathogens. As a result they won't have the same ability to fight off that infection as a salt water fish.

one-fish

By forming in masses in the gills thus suffocating the fish. Think I read that...but I got a feeling am going to school.......