possible total tank meltdown

socalracer

i just started my swamp cooler and all kinds of debris flew in my tank. this included rust bits,paint bits, and dirt. I probally got half of it out with a net and immedietaly removed all my filtration and rinsed it. it is a 100g tank and prob had the equivalent of a sandwich bag half full of this stuff made it into my tank and stayed.. what do i do? is my tank big enough to hopefully with stand this? i am going to do a 20-30% water change tomorrow i cant do it now b/c i have to go to school. o it is a fowlr and some mushroom corals and all of my fish are pretty hardy

reefkprz

pound the water changes to the tank, add lots of highgrade carbon (preferably laboratory grade), run chem pure elite, And pray.

socalracer

ok i thought caorbon but i really dont know how to use it my filtration is LR and bio balls would the carbon be in a mesh bag and i could just put it in a sump? with the water changes would u say an intial 30% then like 20% every thrid day?

reefkprz

the bigger the water change you can do the better 40-50% would be good if you can do it. every second or third day should be OK. Chempure elite is fine to use in reefs it wont hurt corals at all.
place the carbon in a mesh bag and place it where the water HAS to pass through the carbon.

socalracer

thanks reefkprz after the initial water change what amount and how often would u say to do the water changes? and how long 2 weeks?

reefkprz

two weeks should do just keep a close eye on everything if you see bad signs (wilty corals, erratic breathing in your fish, fish not acting normal) step up the waterchanges. when doing large waterchanges its important to have the temperature and salinity of youyr new water exact to your tanks temp and salinity.