Post your Frogspawn!

dustintx

This has been my suspicion since the night I got it home. :(
My LFS assured me it was a frogspawn,so I assumed maybe it was just a young spawn and thats how they looked for a while. Not sure anymore.

2quills

Looks good. You definitely have Euphyllia paraancora. Or what I like to call purple tip hammer coral.

Frog spawn are easily identified by having multiple tips per tentacle.

dustintx

So,should I be disappointed that my LFS told me it was a frogspawn?
I was hoping to get a frogspawn as I read they are fairly easy to care for,frag easily and grow at a decent speed. Then the frags I could use to trade or sell to upgrade equipment later on.

2quills

Nah i wouldnt be dissapointed. Well, maybe in your LFS's ability to identify Euphyllia corals I would.

But otherwise, aside from the minor differences of the tentacles they are essentially the same coral and the same care requirements. Easy to care for and they look nice in the tank.

dustintx

Nah i wouldnt be dissapointed. Well, maybe in your LFS's ability to identify Euphyllia corals I would.

But otherwise, aside from the minor differences of the tentacles they are essentially the same coral and the same care requirements. Easy to care for and they look nice in the tank.
Thanx for the info. I was gonna say I like your name "quills". I do cnc maching,work with quills daily,lol.

I just did a water change and finally moved the hammer up closer to the lights in the process. She looks great in that spot. I'll post new pic when she's fully open.

jussery17

Screenshot_2018-01-06-11-47-09.png

This is my branching frogspawn when I first got him! I bought him with two heads! Prob my favorite coral!! I really love the bright bright green and purple under blue lights at night!!

jussery17

A few months back my LFS sold me a camel shrimp thinking it was a peppermint shrimp! Well he was the one responsible for a tear in my frogspawn where the white skeleton meets the tentacles....it looked to be healing and doing great even though once there was some white stuff around it but it went away. Well I took the camel shrimp back immediately and the coral has been doing great!! Well the other night I've noticed the frogspawn hasn't been opening as full as usual as of late, and it did start to sprout a new head but all growth just seemed to stop! The other night I noticed the white stuff around the edges where that tear was so I make a dip of seachem reef dip, which I've never used, with one capful in one gallon of tank water, and put the frogspawninto it....it says on the bottle to keep a close watch on the coral for any adverse reaction like excessive slimming. Well after about 4 or 5 minutes I saw that it was almost melting and a tenticle of two was inflamed like a balloon!!!! I quickly got it out and put it in some tank water to wash off and put it back in my tank....there was a couple long pieces of green slime coming off of it and the tenticles that were blown up like air bubbles gradually came back down to normal...the tear on the frogspawn is back to normal as if there was no tear at all! In fact on both heads, where the skeleton meets the tentacles everything is all healed and looks great but now my frogspawn just doesn't extend as far as it used to....I'm glad the tear is all healed up, but why won't the tentacles extend like it used to? Why in the crap did it slime up and almost melt on me in that reef dip, and a couple tentacles turn into balloons? I'm posting a pic I just took of my frogspawn a few days now after the dip.....has anyone ever had this happen or know why? And anything I can do to help it, other than lighting, flow or placement and calcium BC all of those are in check as well as stable pH and alkalinity!that k you in advance, anyone, as I'm very worriedView attachment 3201 View attachment 3201 View attachment 3201 View attachment 3201

Attachments