Pot Bellied Seahorses

flower

I have found the cold water macros...I don't know how to run a SH tank without macros, they are such messy eaters and I need the nutrients transported out by them. This was the only thing holding back.
As soon as I can afford a chiller for the 90g reef, I'm going to switch it over. Everything is in the dream stage right now. I'm gathering info on keeping a cold water tank. The horses I plan to get from Seahorses source, they are not available right now, and that's fine since I'm not ready right now anyway.
I found some cold water corals, now to find out where to get them.

al&burke

That sounds COOL Flower - pun intended - glad you really love the SH - the 90 would be a great tank for them

novahobbies

I would LOVE to see a build thread with pots! Not enough people in the US keep these fantastic critters!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465598
I would LOVE to see a build thread with pots! Not enough people in the US keep these fantastic critters!
They remind me of toy Giraffes, I don't know why. I have only seen pictures and videos of them....they look so awesome to me.
Seahorses source contacted me...they don't have them and sent me to a place in Hawaii (Seahorse.com)...$145.00 each. They are CB and eating frozen. Seahorse source had them for $70.00...that's a big difference. I need the chiller, that's a quick $500.00 at least. The big job is re-homing my reef critters.
I won't need all the live rock I have either...I'm not sure if I should get new sand or keep what I have....I wonder how the things in the sand (bristle worms) would handle going from an 82 degree reef to a 62 degree deep freeze. I figure if it all dies it's a good start on a cycle, if they don't die, would I have a problem for the horses if they remain?
I was reading stuff on that Seahorse.com....The only reason I trust them to get horses from them is the recommendation from Seahorse source. They sell their horses by color and way pricey too. Their list of safe tankmates even include dwarf angels, clowns, serpent stars and cleaner shrimps (for all SHs). They say acclimate and then use a net to put the horses in the tank...I know to use my hand and never a net. Everyone has their own way I guess.
Oh... and I'm missing a reef chromis...I counted only four this evening. They were all swimming happy yesterday...I even looked to see if it might have jumped, no body. My CUC is very efficient...I won't find anything in the tank, that's for sure. They were all doing so well.

novahobbies

Personally I like bristle worms as part of the CUC....I would leave them if they live thru the temp change.
When I first got into horses, I was a lurker on seahorse.com's forums and I bent the ear of the moderator Pete Giwojna quite often. I still like him, and the information he put together for his book was outstanding. Truly, it's a shame he hasn't found a publisher for it. Pete used to co-write a regular seahorse specific column for FAMA a few years ago that was very helpful to the newb horse owner.
The prices for the horses on that site are high, but you should remember that EVERYTHING in Hawaii is expensive. I agree with your assessment of their safe tankmates list and the transfer method....I'm not a net person if I can help it, and NEVER with seahorses.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465665
Personally I like bristle worms as part of the CUC....I would leave them if they live thru the temp change.
When I first got into horses, I was a lurker on seahorse.com's forums and I bent the ear of the moderator Pete Giwojna quite often. I still like him, and the information he put together for his book was outstanding. Truly, it's a shame he hasn't found a publisher for it. Pete used to co-write a regular seahorse specific column for FAMA a few years ago that was very helpful to the newb horse owner.
The prices for the horses on that site are high, but you should remember that EVERYTHING in Hawaii is expensive. I agree with your assessment of their safe tankmates list and the transfer method....I'm not a net person if I can help it, and NEVER with seahorses.
Well, if I want pot belly horses I don't have a choice but to get them on-line. I'm really getting excited about doing this. I found a chiller for $439.00....Good for up to 130g...I don't think I can hold off until June, I'm going to "wiggle" the budget and see if I can swing a chiller right away. Once I have the chiller I can set up the tank and get my macros going. Maybe order the horses by the end of April, beginning of May.
Yep...My favorite picture of them reminds me of a Stuffed Giraffe....I know they come in all sorts of markings...but this picture made me fall in love with them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465591
That sounds COOL Flower - pun intended - glad you really love the SH - the 90 would be a great tank for them
Hi Al,
I didn't see your post...I am ordering the chiller today! Artica Titanium 1/10 HP for up to 130g
LOL...I'm so bad, and now so broke...it's nice when I only have to answer to me.
But hey the bills are paid, and there is food in the fridge....the first of the month is around the corner.
I wish the 90g was just a little taller but it should do just fine. After I remove the livestock...I am going to keep my sand and just a little of the rock. All the equipment will remain the same. So all I need are some macros....and I will be ready for my horses. I'm going to do a nice big water change before they are ordered. I'm not sure how many can go in the 90g, I don't want to crowd the tank, but I want to get all the horses I am getting all at once. They will be young and small at first...so not too great of a bioload to add them all at the same time.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465706
Hi Al,
I didn't see your post...I am ordering the chiller today! Artica Titanium 1/10 HP for up to 130g
LOL...I'm so bad, and now so broke...it's nice when I only have to answer to me.
But hey the bills are paid, and there is food in the fridge....the first of the month is around the corner.
I wish the 90g was just a little taller but it should do just fine. After I remove the livestock...I am going to keep my sand and just a little of the rock. All the equipment will remain the same. So all I need are some macros....and I will be ready for my horses. I'm going to do a nice big water change before they are ordered. I'm not sure how many can go in the 90g, I don't want to crowd the tank, but I want to get all the horses I am getting all at once. They will be young and small at first...so not too great of a bioload to add them all at the same time.
No worries Flower, they look amazing - good luck - I can't wait to see them in your tank, funny you went to horses - I went to lions, still have the reef but they would look cool in a full reef.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465723
No worries Flower, they look amazing - good luck - I can't wait to see them in your tank, funny you went to horses - I went to lions, still have the reef but they would look cool in a full reef.
I might still do a reef, but it would be cold water coral, not the type I have now. I would have to really do some homework to see what can live in that type of temperature, I have never looked at anything but what would go in my tank all that time.

flower

I googled Southern Knights...and I found a site in Australia that sells CB Pot Belly seahorses (Southern Knights)...I don't know if they will sell to individuals, or what it might cost to ship from there to here...I e-mailed them and asked. Seahorse Source says they don't breed pot bellies, but gets Southern Knights from Australia...I hope it's the same people. $32.00 each + freight ... Freight could be way up there in price.
Monday I am breaking down the reef and re-homing my critters to the LFS. The chiller should arrive within the week.

novahobbies

Holy cow, that picture you posted is amazing!!
I'm definitely following, can't wait to see how this comes out. Good job on the chiller....like you said, bills are paid, nobody bothering you for money, so what the heck!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465749
Holy cow, that picture you posted is amazing!!
I'm definitely following, can't wait to see how this comes out. Good job on the chiller....like you said, bills are paid, nobody bothering you for money, so what the heck!
Isn't it beautiful! I know online pictures are of the best looking specimens, but I just fell in love with them. I hope the ones I get are even half that great looking. They are supposed to be really hardy and easy to keep. They just have to have that cold, cold water. I also have a generator just in case I ever loose power. Since they must have that cold water to survive a power failure will mean more than keeping a few pumps running.
Which reminds me...I know how to clean the filter on my Aquaeuro chiller...but I just have this gut feeling I should clean the inside somehow...since you have the same unit from Meowzer....I can't find my book...can you enlighten me at all? I don't want the chiller to fail on the 56g either.
An expert from Australia (at seahorse.org) contacted me about the tank set up ... He wants me to kill my live rock and sand and start fresh with no life that might be harmful to the horses.
THE PLAN:
I can add freshwater and rinse the sand, killing all the fauna in it...the dead bristle worms, and what have you will just become cycle fodder...I will soak the rock in chlorine and then soak in freshwater and dechlorinator and then allow it to dry...why purchase dead dry rock when I can make my own...same with sand. What do you think?

flower

Question...how cold is too cold for my CUC? Can I still keep my snails to do their job or do I need to find cold water snails? Does water that cold even need a CUC for algae?

flower

UPDATE:
I found my answer...the CUC I have can't take the cold, so they have to go too. I need to find out what CUC can be in a cold water marine tank.
I am breaking down the tank today to re-home the fish. Oh and the 5th chromis showed up...he wasn't swimming with the rest and he is just fine. I thought I lost him. I'm going to kill my live rock with freshwater and cure it, I will do the same with the sand so I can be sure there are no harmful little buggers in anything. So today is the beginning. My Daughter is here with the grandkids, They are here for their spring break so I have some help....and I get to spoil the new baby boy.
I was talking to my daughter about re-homing the fish and my plans for pot bellies...I look over at my mother...she was crying. I didn't even know she liked my fish tank. It took me 20 minutes to explain to her that I was getting some really awesome new critters for the tank that she will enjoy even more. If I had not already ordered the chiller, I would have nixed the whole thing. I went on to explain that since the heater killed so much of my coral, I never really rebuilt the reef tank. I just mostly kept the soft corals that survived it. I added a few pieces like the finger leathers but that was it. It just doesn't look as pretty as it once did, even the rock is darker. She finally accepted what I want to do....Until all of this I didn't think she cared about my fish at all.

S

saxman

This would be one case where margarita snails would work fine.
It sounds like you found David over on the org...he used to run a commercial SH breeding facility, and pots are his faves.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465881
This would be one case where margarita snails would work fine.
It sounds like you found David over on the org...he used to run a commercial SH breeding facility, and pots are his faves.
I did indeed find David...he has been so helpful. He has also made keeping pot belly horses sound like it's going to a fantastic fun thing to do. So I can get margarita snails, that's great to hear. If any other critters are useful please let me know...I really want to set this tank up right, I want as few bumps as possible. Seems cold water marine tanks are few and far between and not much information is on them. It took me a while to figure out what macros can grow in the cold.

flower

They changed things on the forum again I see...Smileys are in weird places.
I'm taking a break to let the water settle. I had to remove the rock and coral before I could get to the fish, now the tank is so clouded I can't see the fish to get them. I only found one serpent star, so one is hiding in the rocks...lets hope it is in the rock with coral under water...the other rocks are in a tub designated to be soaked in fresh water to kill everything on/in it. I have no idea what the LFS will give me as instore credit. The rocks these soft coral are attached to are worth more than the coral.